We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sargassum & Weather Report May 30-June 6

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
Sargassum & Weather Report May 30-June 6

Just back from a week at El Faro, on the beach, south side of Calle 10. Fourth visit to Riviera Maya (Cancun, Secrets Maroma Beach, PDC twice). I'm not applying for Destination Expert status, so I didn't bother to walk up & down the beach from Benito Juarez to Calle 40 & beyond with a tape measure, so take this report for only the area in front of El Faro, plus as far north & south as my eye can see.

Yes, there's sargassum every day, with a strip at the shoreline ranging in width from 2-5 ft. I easily stepped through it and into the water, after which there is more sargassum below the surface, up to about 15-20 yards from shore. After that it's clear sailing, although in dark water. It's a completely sandy bottom & warm water, and I could probably go out at least 1/4 mile before it's over my head.

WEATHER The forecast for our week was 80-90% chance of rain every day. The reality: it rained one day -- the other days were dry, so we spent each of them at the pool/beach.

Re sargassum cleanup: The day we arrived was the heaviest accumulation of seaweed. There were 11 workers with shovels & rakes in front of El Faro moving it into piles on the shoreline. By late afternoon they had built 6 piles about 4 ft. tall, after which 3 small front-end loaders arrived to make repeated trips to scoop it up, and transport it to the south out of my sight.

5 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,536 posts
51 reviews
1. Re: Sargassum & Weather Report May 30-June 6

Just curious if you heard any club music from your room or at the resort at night??? I am a light sleeper and wanted to look at booking there.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Sargassum & Weather Report May 30-June 6

El Faro is a U-shaped building, with the open end of the U facing the beach. As a U-shape, it has 3 wings. The north wing (along Calle 10) is called Surf, the center wing is Coral, and the south wing is Reef. A club, called Zenzi, is on the beach at Calle 10. That's the source of all the complaints about noise at night. So you want to get as far away from Calle 10 as possible. That means avoid Surf, and try for Reef. We stayed in Reef 202 and never heard a sound.

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
3. Re: Sargassum & Weather Report May 30-June 6

Thank you for the info! We're staying at El Faro this summer. Based on other seaweed/sargassum posts, I've been worried about the situation there, and you totally eased my mind. Lots of comments about how bad the beaches smell. Any issue with the smell while at El Faro pool or in your condo?

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Sargassum & Weather Report May 30-June 6

I'm not very sensitive to smell, so take this for what you think it's worth. There was no smell inside the condo, but there was a slight smell when outside, including on our 2nd floor balcony. It never bothered me.

BTW, you might want to read my review of El Faro on TA under PDC Hotels.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
5. Re: Sargassum & Weather Report May 30-June 6

We arrived the 12th of June to PDC, the weather has been the worse thing I've experienced, rain everyday all day...the beaches look awful, full of seaweed with bad smell... we leave in 2 days and we haven't seen the sun just once...terrible

Reply to: Sargassum & Weather Report May 30-June 6
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted