We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

color changing stone from the Yucatan

1 post
Save Topic
color changing stone from the Yucatan

I was recently in Playa Del Carmen, MX and saw a ring as you described. I had 3 different jewelry shops try to get me to buy it. They called it simply "Maya stone". The ones I saw changed from a beautiful emerald blue/green when inside to a golden rose color when taken outside. They wanted $250 for it. I really liked it but couldn't see myself buying it for that much money so I walked away. Only one place said they could give a certificate of authenticity for it but still wanted $235 for it. They claim it has only been found and mined from 3 different cenotes down there in the Yucatan. They claim that there are only 3 other kinds of gemstones worldwide that change color like this. I have been trying to research it on my own to see if I could verify what I was told. I would still like to get one but I want to make sure it is authentic.

3 replies to this topic
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,473 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: color changing stone from the Yucatan

I'll see if I can dig up an old thread on a similar topic for you. Bottom line, you're likely being fed a big line of BS by all the stores/salespeople - the fact that you can't find anything by Googling "maya stone" is pretty indicative of that.

However, if you like the ring and you can negotiate them down to a price that you're happy with, then buy it. Just make sure the price you negotiate reflects the fact that you may be purchasing a piece of glass with a pretty coating on it, set in some unknown silver-coloured metal. Personally, I'd cap that sort of expense at about US$30 but YMMV.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,473 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: color changing stone from the Yucatan

This is the old thread I was thinking of - https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g150812…

There was never any real consensus on what the stone actually is but if I had to guess, my vote would be for man-made, synthetic. But that doesn't mean that it's not a perfectly lovely and pretty bauble; it's just probably not worth a whole lot of $$$$s.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
167 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: color changing stone from the Yucatan

It sounds like alexandrite. You can do a quick google search and it will show you mutilple examples available for purchase. My rule of thumb when buying on vacation is assume it’s fake, but buy it because it makes you happy :)

Reply to: color changing stone from the Yucatan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted