We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current taxi rates in PDC

NYC
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Current taxi rates in PDC

Hola. I haven't been in Playa in years, and have searched this forum for current taxi rates and have been unsuccessful. I found a chart on http://everythingplayadelcarmen.com/ but it's a bit outdated as it states there's been an increase. Do taxis still run based on zones? About how much should I pay from ADO main tourist station to 40th st (KLR IT Hotel)? Muchas gracias!

Mentioned in this post
Ado
Ado
610 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
7 replies to this topic
St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
13,177 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current taxi rates in PDC

Years ago the exchange rate from dollars to pesos was 10 to 1. A taxi ride was 50 pesos to Playacar or to the zone above 32 Calle. So about $5 usd.

Now the exchange rate is 20 to 1 ( actually 20.60 to 1 today). Posted taxi rate is about 100 pesos, so still about $5 usd if you pay in pesos.

Taxi pickup is on the horseshoe street on Juarez Avenue next to the ADO station. Rates are posted in chalk to various locations.

You will find a bank ATM at the airport or upstairs of the ADO station.

Mentioned in this post
Playacar Palace
Playacar Palace
359 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Ado
Ado
610 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current taxi rates in PDC

Here is a link to the rate map. Not sure if it is up to date though, use at your own risk.

https:/…pdc_taxizonemap.asp

Caribbean
Level Contributor
7,921 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Current taxi rates in PDC

> "About how much should I pay from ADO main tourist station to 40th st"

Last year, I asked a taxi driver waiting at the Turistica terminal (the one on 5th Ave) the fare for that distance, and he said 90 pesos. I walked 1 block to 10th Ave, stopped a taxi in the street and paid 30 pesos.

Mentioned in this post
Ado
Ado
610 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
NYC
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current taxi rates in PDC

Thank you all very much! The hotel told me around 90 pesos, which I thought was high. But I guess that's a rate from taxis waiting at stands. So I'll expect to pay a little less if I hail one just on 10th Ave. Gracias again!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,285 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Current taxi rates in PDC

The link in #2 is certainly not out of date, but it applies to hailing taxis on the street. Sitios can charge more like 5 pesos, except for Gringoswhere they charge whatever they think they can get away with.

People comment that the fares have gone up just because they have been charged more, but there has been no state sanctioned increase.

No, I'm not paying 100 pesos for a 30 peso fare.

Edited: 13 June 2018, 19:25
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Current taxi rates in PDC

Thank you Eric for confirming that those rates are still valid.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
13,177 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Current taxi rates in PDC

Senoritating, coming from NYC, you have to admit that $5 usd for taxi taking you 20 blocks is chump change. Having the convenience of catching the taxi right next door to the ADO station in the afternoon heat and humidity is just too sweet. No flagging down a taxi, they are all lined up to whisk folks to their hotels or resorts.

Mentioned in this post
Ado
Ado
610 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Reply to: Current taxi rates in PDC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted