We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping? Pesos or dollars?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
31 posts
45 reviews
Tipping? Pesos or dollars?

Are Pesos or US dollars preferred in tipping wait staff, bartenders etc in all inclusive resorts? Thanks!

24 replies to this topic
Piedmont, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
268 posts
46 reviews
1. Re: Tipping? Pesos or dollars?

They'll accept either happily, but always felt that when in Mexico, use Pesos's.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,536 posts
51 reviews
2. Re: Tipping? Pesos or dollars?

They do accept all money but they prefer Pesos. It can be harder for them to exchange. But leave any currency you have, they greatly appreciate it

New York
Level Contributor
2,434 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Tipping? Pesos or dollars?

Dollars. Sister lives there and said the workers prefer dollars.

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Tipping? Pesos or dollars?

I didn't know that BeachDog.! And all these years we've been travelling there, we've used pesos for everything, and the many friends we've made over the years seem very happy to receive our tips in pesos. Unfortunately, being from Canada, I guess they will have to continue to be OK with that, as it's more expensive for us to purchase U.S. dollars than it is to purchase Mexican pesos.

Hollidaysburg...
Level Contributor
43 posts
39 reviews
5. Re: Tipping? Pesos or dollars?

I have always used dollars. They looked happy.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
31 posts
45 reviews
6. Re: Tipping? Pesos or dollars?

Ok thanks everyone. So would 100 US dollars be adequate for the trip for tips? I will just get Pesos. How many pesos are appropriate to tip?

New York
Level Contributor
2,434 posts
13 reviews
7. Re: Tipping? Pesos or dollars?

How long are you there.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
8,459 posts
134 reviews
8. Re: Tipping? Pesos or dollars?

Justin,

The most important thing is to tip, and to tip well for good service. I give the maid $50 Mxn pesos (~ $2.50 US) per day per person in the room; the bartender a least a buck a round; the waiter / waitress as you would at home. So IDK if $100 US is sufficient as it all depends on how many there are of you and how many days you are staying.

If you are going to use USD, just make sure that they are in good shape, no tears, and no additional writing on the bills. If the bills are compromised in any manner, they are worthless in Mexico. And *NO* US coins...... they are worthless as well. Hope this helps. Safe travels.

¡Diviértanse!

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
5,078 posts
347 reviews
9. Re: Tipping? Pesos or dollars?

If your extended family was coming to spend a week with you (in the USA) and stay at your house and eat your food...if they offered to give you money for groceries would you rather them give you Pesos, Euros, Swiss Francs OR the local currency (US Dollars) so that you can take directly with you and shop with it???

Westlock, Canada
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
1 review
10. Re: Tipping? Pesos or dollars?

This part of mexico is very different where both are accepted everywhere, so either is fine. The argument that you wouldn't want swiss money is ridiculous because they aren't accepted in the US. BOTH are accepted here and BOTH are welcome for tips. Just know that if you are spending USD for shopping or taxis you will lose on the exchange. For tipping, either is accepted and it is easy for the locals to spend at a good rate at the mega, soriana, walmart, etc. They know where to get the best bang for their buck and the days of them waiting on their day off in long lines at banks to exchange are long gone.

Reply to: Tipping? Pesos or dollars?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted