We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question for a family reunion/50th anniversary

Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Question for a family reunion/50th anniversary

Hi everyone I have a couple of questions hoping someone can help. We are starting to plan out my parents 50th wedding anniversary, my parents of course want a ceremony at church in town and get the family together after to eat dinner. Do you know if certain resorts allow you to book a room for dinner for like 40 people? Do they charge a fee? We were hoping just to have the same foood from the buffet. We don’t want to do a wedding on the resort because that’s not what my parents want. Do you know if which resort might do this? Or do they even allow this? Any recommendations??

9 replies to this topic
Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
71 reviews
1. Re: Question for a family reunion/50th anniversary

There are not a lot of resorts actually in Playa del Carmen. You can look at the Riu's that are in Playacar (very close). A word of caution, anything that resembles a wedding, renewal or any kind of ceremony will cost you money at the resort. Its highly doubtful that they will not charge 40 people to eat together.

If I were you and your group, I would choose a resort that will be a good fit for everyone. Then, you can focus on the details of the ceremony and dinner. Larger resorts like Iberostar and Barcelo have Catholic churches on site unless your parents have their heart set on a particular church in Playa del Carmen.

Basically yea, you can all eat together, but it will cost you an extra charge.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,748 posts
57 reviews
2. Re: Question for a family reunion/50th anniversary

Generations riviera maya is actually made for the generations :).

They do have a church but are close to puerto morales as well.

It’s not a super busy resort so I’m sure they could set up a room for you.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
13,684 posts
56 reviews
3. Re: Question for a family reunion/50th anniversary

The Pally has a lovely church on site. You would likely be charged for a vow renewal.. The guest could all be seated together in the buffet or have a set menu in an a la carte as part of the AI package (providing they are all staying at the hotel)

Edited: 13 June 2018, 21:10
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
13,684 posts
56 reviews
4. Re: Question for a family reunion/50th anniversary

That should say Palladium. (Phone auto corrects)

Superior, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Question for a family reunion/50th anniversary

I can't help you with resort choices. I wanted you to know that we did this with my Grandparents, and it was one of their favorite memories. Good for all of us, too. Enjoy!

New York
Level Contributor
353 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Question for a family reunion/50th anniversary

Juanita, I love your idea and I am actually going to PDC in August. My parents will celebrate their 45th in December and I was thinking of a trip to PDC with just the children and grandchildren, about 10 of us. I will be going to the church on 5th Ave and will find out what I need to do for a ceremony and how much. When I come back, I promise to post the info for others like you and I that plan something like this. I don't know when you are planning your parents celebration, but if you can wait until I get back, after labor day in September I will let you know. since I will be going to PDC and plan to stay at a resort I will also find out if they can host a party for me and guests staying in the hotel. I plan on staying in Occidental X-caret in August and this is where I plan to stay in December too.

Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Question for a family reunion/50th anniversary

Hi there, thanks for the response, I actually have contacted the catholic church there. This is the email address, <igdelcarmen@gmail.com> http://iglesiadelcarmen.org.mx/ and back when I reached out to them they charged $3000 pesos. They also need a copy of their marriage certificate. But yes please please let me know what you find out. Ours wont be until next summer so please send me an inbox when you post.

thanks!

Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Question for a family reunion/50th anniversary

Everyone thank you for your responses, they have been very very helpful!

Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: Question for a family reunion/50th anniversary

hi there, did you ever figure things out for your parents anniversary?

Reply to: Question for a family reunion/50th anniversary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted