We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Currency

Can I use American currency to shop in town? Also, is there a place in the airport where I can make change for Smaller bills?

Playa del Carmen Jungle Tour: Tulum...
102 Reviews
from US$138.99*
Free Cancellation
Rio Secreto Underground River Tour...
134 Reviews
from US$78.99*
Free Cancellation
Chichen Itza, Ek Balam and Cenote...
86 Reviews
from US$110.00*
Free Cancellation
19 replies to this topic
San Mateo...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
4,889 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency

Maybe a little research might answer your questions, just look to the right where it says Top questions about Playa del Carmen and look about half way down the column and you will see $$$CURRENCY$$$...Click it and see what appears..........Can I use Pesos in Fort Worth????????

Mentioned in this post
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
New York
Level Contributor
1,782 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency

Yes you can use dollars in town. Why not bring smaller bills with you.

Westlock, Canada
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency

You can use USD pretty much everywhere. You just are at the mercy of the exchange rate they want to charge. Places like Chedraui and Walmart give pretty even exchange but taxis or small shops may charge you hard.

Saying "can you use pesos in Ft Worth" is not a very good example because USD is widely accepted in tourist areas and is not a fair comparison.

Mentioned in this post
Chedraui
Chedraui
43 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
7,429 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency

Petstylist,

The short quick answer is yes you can use USD in Mexico. However you have to understand that if you do the business owner is free to set whatever exchange rate he or she wants for your USD. Therefore you are much better off getting and using MXN pesos. Avoid the cambios in the airport, they will give you some of the worst exchange rates you'll find anywhere in all of Mexico.

The best thing to do is bring your debit card from home. Notify your home Bank of your travel dates to Mexico, so they will not freeze your account. Then used Bank Affiliated / attached ATM machines to withdraw these funds. Some of the major banks in Mexico include Banorte, BBVA Bancomer, Banamex, HSBC, Santander Bank, Scotiabank. Be very wary of using any free-standing ATMs. These are the most frequently compromised ATMs in Mexico, and you may find they may even dispense USD!!

An easy conversion for prices from Mexican pesos to an equivalent in USD is to take the price in Mexican pesos, drop the last digit whatever it is, and then divide the remaining number in half for a quick math, roughly equivalent price in US dollars. So for example $369 Mexican pesos is going to equal approximately: 1) drop the 9, 2) half of 36 is 18, so $369 Mexican pesos would equal approximately 18 US dollars. Easy, peezy!!!

Hope this helps. Safe travels.

¡Diviértanse!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency

Thank you all so much that were kind enough to reply without sarcasm. LOL I haven’t been to Mexico in about six years and thought I read there are some places not taking American currency anymore. I know that the hotel I’m going to does not except American Currency. I had planned on getting a bunch of ones and bringing with me for tipping housekeeping, bar staff and waiters but completely forgot to change my larger bills for smaller bills and my plane leaves at 7 o’clock in the morning. It was just a simple oversight as I have been working every day for the last week. Thank you again for your replies.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency

I’m not sure If you can use pesos in Fort Worth. Maybe some of the cantinas will except them. I don’t frequent those so I don’t know. However, I’m not sure Fort Wortheners would really except your kind of attitude here. We are full of Southern charm and expect the same Respectful treatment we give to our visitors. Do you have it in you to be respectful?

Mentioned in this post
San Mateo...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
4,889 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency

I apologize for being sarcastic, if you saw how many people ask the same question everyday it gets a little old, no one wants to do any research...

Now why can't you tip in Pesos, a 20 peso note is = to $1 USD, My feeling is a housekeeper is on her feet all day working, the last thing she wants to do is stand in line in a bank line on the way home to exchange USDs...Some banks do not even take USD and especially not $1 bills.........

Westlock, Canada
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Currency

People don't stand in lines to change money anymore like they used to. They can use it all over at the big stores for almost even exchange and also know where to get the best bang for their buck. That is old school thinking. I'm from Canada so never bring US anyway unless I have some left over from a US trip. But tipping in US at a resort is totally acceptable, no worries there. (lots of places only advertise their pricing in US$, not sure they do that in Texas for pesos so again, not a fair comparison).

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
New York
Level Contributor
1,782 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Currency

Sister lives in Mexico and she says the workers prefer dollars. Times have changed.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Currency

I fully intended on bringing pesos but last week when I went to the bank they said they do not do currency exchange. My mother, who is traveling with me he has another bank and they also do not do currency exchange. So basically, I have no idea where to get pesos. LOL. Pretty sad that here in Texas where half the population in Spanish, our banks cannot do current see exchange.

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
Reply to: Currency
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted