We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum and Coba Day Trip Questions

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
162 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Tulum and Coba Day Trip Questions

Hi, we are planning a day trip to Tulum and Coba driving a rental from our Playa hotel. We would really appreciate if someone could recommend us in which order should we visit these sites. Is it better to visit Tulum early to avoid crowds and then head to Coba or the other way around? Is there something else worth visiting along that route? How much time is needed to visit each of these sites? Thank you very much.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Newport House Playa del Carmen
Newport House Playa del Carmen
#2 of 218 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Petit Lafitte
Petit Lafitte
#6 of 218 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Fairmont Mayakoba
Fairmont Mayakoba
#9 of 218 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,549 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tulum and Coba Day Trip Questions

Personally I would go to Coba first. 800 AM opening unless it changed. Rent bikes to get around and see stuff before it gets hot and a lot of people show up.

There are three cenotes close by. I have not see them yet.

If you skip those, stop by Grand cenote close to Tulum. Go eat lunch then go to Tulum. If it is 200-300 PM or so maybe most people are gone

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cenote
Grand Cenote
3,189 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
2. Re: Tulum and Coba Day Trip Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 March 2016, 14:19
United States
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,722 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tulum and Coba Day Trip Questions

^^^^ Totally agree with CO_Pilot54. Exactly how we did it. Coba first, lunch then Tulum. In Coba we rode on a tri-cyclo to see the ruins. Very fun! No bathrooms in the ruins, go before you start walking around.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
162 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tulum and Coba Day Trip Questions

Thank you very much. We'll begin with Coba and then drive back to Tulum.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,680 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tulum and Coba Day Trip Questions

I was thinking the opposite. Tulum can get quite hot. I would go to Tulum first. You can swim at the beach below the ruins. I would then head to Coba. Coba does not get as crowded as Tulum. You can either rent a bike or hire a driver on a bike to take you around in the park. After visiting the ruins in Coba, drive thru town past the school. There is an excellent cenote about 1 mile out of town. This is probably one of my favorite cenotes on the Yucatan Peninsula. The water is clear and cool. You could also stop at Gran Cenote on the way back to PDC.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Level Contributor
12 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tulum and Coba Day Trip Questions

What's the name of the cenote you're talking about 1 mile out of town? We are looking to do a day trip to Coba and Tulum from Playa, and I was wondering what cenotes we could visit along the route. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
31 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tulum and Coba Day Trip Questions

Sandi B, Near Coba there are three. Multum Ha, Tamcach-Ha and Choo-Ha. All beautiful. I'm heading to PDC in 2 weeks with my family and will only stop at the last two. There's jumping platforms at Tamcach-Ha (it's a deep cavernous hole) which makes it a lot of fun if you like those things, but access to the water is easy without jumping as well. Have been lucky to have them to ourselves both times, with just one other family stopping in. No crowds and the beautiful water make it perfect. Haven't been to Grand Cenote near PDC to compare.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cenote
Grand Cenote
3,189 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
8. Re: Tulum and Coba Day Trip Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2017, 12:17