We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for routes/self catering accommodation

Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
211 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for routes/self catering accommodation

Planning a trip in Feb/March 2013. Travelling with my wife, toddler and baby.

Current thoughts as follows:

Out and back from Cape Town to Plett to make the most of direct flights from London.

2 nights in Camps Bay

2 nights in Swellendam

3 weeks in Plett

2 nights in Swellendam

2 nights in Franschoek

Would really appreciate comments on itinerary and recommendations for a) self catering accommodation and b) activities suitable for small children (shark cage is out this time around...).

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for routes/self catering accommodation

I am no expert but I would not stay a total of 4 nights in Swellendam. It is a small town but not loads to do. I would increase my nights in Camps Bay to 4 so that you can do the peninsular, penguins, table mountain and a couple of days on the beach and then to Swellendam for 1 night, 3 weeks in Plett or Knysna (beach good in Plett), one night somewhere en route to the 2 nights in Franschoek. Can't help on the self catering side of things - we have always done b&b in that region. Hope you enjoy yourselves - I am sure you will want to return time and time again.

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
794 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for routes/self catering accommodation

You seem to have left out a stop in Oudtshoorn. We spent 3 nights at De Denne Cottages with our 2 kids (12 and 14) and it was one of thier favorite times in SA. De Denne room 5 is quite large and self catering with a small play area just outside your door. The tour of the working farm was fabulous. The caves and a morning watching Meercats were also highlights.

3. Re: Recommendations for routes/self catering accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2013, 17:16