We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in 4,000 Islands

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
59 reviews
32 helpful votes
Where to stay in 4,000 Islands
Save

Which Island is best to stay for 3 nights in order to see waterfall, dolphins etc? We are considering Don Khong or Don Khon but as more 'mature' albeit experienced travellers we want a modicum of comfort and cleanliness after a couple of weeks travelling in Northern Laos.

wigan
Level Contributor
144 posts
45 reviews
36 helpful votes
1. Re: Where to stay in 4,000 Islands
Save

Hi twooldies,

We stayed on Dhon Khon for 3 nights in Jan 2009, staying at 'Sala Phae', we wanted a little bit of comfort (hot water etc) so were prepared to pay for it. The bungalows are all built on rafts, so you are literally right on the river, polished wooden floors, big windows with seating area and a small balcony. We used push bikes to get around the island and did cross the bridge one day over to Don Det (much, much younger crowd). We took a long tailed boat from the bottom of the island to go see the dolphins (take binoculars). Like yourselves we are 'mature' travellers and would recommend staying on that particular 'island', it was everything that we hoped for and more.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
59 reviews
32 helpful votes
2. Re: Where to stay in 4,000 Islands
Save

Thanks for your post which was really helpful. We were concerned about Salaphae after reading a post on Travelfish saying that their maintenance was dodgy and the bouncing of the huts when a boat went by meant you could be sea sick! If you stayed for 3 nights then all must be well. Thanks

wigan
Level Contributor
144 posts
45 reviews
36 helpful votes
3. Re: Where to stay in 4,000 Islands
Save

Hi twooldies,

The only boats that went past were locals going about their business using longtail boats which didn't cause any noticable bouncing, the huts/rafts are very well secured with ropes etc so movement is hardly noticeable. The electricity is sourced from solar panels on the roofs of the bungalows, we had no problems whotsoever. Remembering this is a developing part of the country and you have to expect things to go wrong, but this is one of the reasons why we wanted to visit this part of Laos, it is still very unspoilt. The local people here were some of the nicest people we have met on our travels, I would love to go back one day......

Walton, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
109 reviews
106 helpful votes
4. Re: Where to stay in 4,000 Islands
Save

Hi Asiarocks, just been reading your conversation with the twooldies. I think our itinerary has us heading to the Sala Ban Khone in Jany '11. Is this the place you're talking about? If so would you recommend the floating rooms over the ones in the French Residence (I guess that's the main house)? and I read somewhere that not all have sunset views. We're in our 50's so looking for a bit of comfort whilst pretending we're not!!

Walton, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
109 reviews
106 helpful votes
5. Re: Where to stay in 4,000 Islands
Save

Hi Asiarocks, just been reading your conversation with the twooldies. I think our itinerary has us heading to the Sala Ban Khone in Jany '11. Is this the place you're talking about? If so would you recommend the floating rooms over the ones in the French Residence (I guess that's the main house)? and I read somewhere that not all have sunset views. We're in our 50's so looking for a bit of comfort whilst pretending we're not!!

wigan
Level Contributor
144 posts
45 reviews
36 helpful votes
6. Re: Where to stay in 4,000 Islands
Save

Hi maynris,

Yes, this is the place. We didn't take a look around the french residence as pretty much made our minds up once we looked around the 'floating' bungalows. We had a beautiful sunset each evening which we enjoyed from the small balcony. The bungalows are all accesed via wooden (rickety) walkways - not for the fainthearted or infirm. The main building is set back from the road (dust) so I would be mindful that you may not get (if at all) the best sunset from that point.

The restaurant which belongs to this outfit is very popular - bookings are advisable for an evening meal. The restaurant just before the bridge has excellent food, spring rolls were divine. There wasn't any electricity on the island when we went, all the generators kick in after sunset but we did hear that it was on its way......

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
59 reviews
32 helpful votes
7. Re: Where to stay in 4,000 Islands
Save

Have any of you used Travelfish? It's a brilliant website which we use in conjunction with TripAdvisor which we have found really helpful. Whilst catering more towards flashpackers (backpackers with style and trying to sound intrepid - thanks us!!)) & backpackers, they do have the most amazing amount of info on everything to everywhere in SE Asia i.e. Thailand, Laos, Cambodia & Vietnam. We used it to plan our trip around Vietnam and Cambodia earlier this year, and are now putting together a trip for Laos and South & West Cambodia into Thailand for Feb/March 2011. Comments on hotels are great, but again, used in conjunction with TripAdvisor info and comments we feel we then have a really rounded idea of hotels and places to go and eat..

8. Re: Where to stay in 4,000 Islands

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2011, 13:17
Get answers to your questions about Don Khone
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.