We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Pakse Airport to 4000 Islands

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
4 posts
38 reviews
24 helpful votes
From Pakse Airport to 4000 Islands
Save

Hi all

I will travel with my girlfriend next week from Luang Prabang to Pakse by plane. Arrival is around 1pm.

Afterwards we like to continue directly to 4000 Islands (Don Khon).

I just read that there is a tourist bus leaving only in the morning from Pakse to 4000 Islands (duration about 3 hours). Beside that you could take the public bus which is not as half comfortable as the tourist bus and takes about more than 3 hours. A third way to get there should be a private shuttle transport which brings you to 4000 Island in 2 hours.

Does anybody have experience in how getting from Pakse Airport directly to 4000 Islands leaving after 1pm? And how can I organize that best (in advance)?

Thanks a lot for your help!

5 replies to this topic
Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,437 posts
242 reviews
235 helpful votes
1. Re: From Pakse Airport to 4000 Islands
Save

You could try calling the Lan Kham guesthouse who have a long established tour agency. I don't have their email

+856 31 213 314

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
9,276 posts
48 reviews
54 helpful votes
2. Re: From Pakse Airport to 4000 Islands
Save

Well, I am not sure about the statement that the tourist bus (aka minibus) is more comfortable than the normal buses. I had much more space for my legs in the local bus than in the minibus...

I used Lan kham Hotel for my trip to Champasak, to Thailand and rented a motorbike there, and never had a problem with them. So as Bluecramp suggested, it is a good place to call for more information

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
4 posts
38 reviews
24 helpful votes
3. Re: From Pakse Airport to 4000 Islands
Save

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I will go to Lan Kham Guesthouse.

How much in advance have I to contact them? Is it OK if I just go there 2 days in advance to the trip from Pakse to 4000 Islands?

Thanks!

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
9,276 posts
48 reviews
54 helpful votes
4. Re: From Pakse Airport to 4000 Islands
Save

You could contact them now and ask for options, and then book something closer to the time. At least you know by now what is possible

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
4 posts
38 reviews
24 helpful votes
5. Re: From Pakse Airport to 4000 Islands
Save

Hi all

I'm just back from my trip and wanted to give an additional answer on my own question :-)

If you arrive with the flight at 12.20 in Pakse Int. you can get a mini van for 6 persons for 800 000 kip (ca. 100 USD). The van will bring you directly to the ferry station. Or take the taxi for 6 USD each to the south bus station. From there take the local bus which shall run every hour until 3pm. We were with 4 other tourists and had good fun even if the bus was a bit run down and small (Tuk Tuk like). The price was 40 000 kip each to the ferry station and it took us 3 hours.

It was a fun experience but next time I would hire the mini van with 6 persons. Its nearly the same price, more comfortable and faster.

Reply to: From Pakse Airport to 4000 Islands
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Don Khone
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.