We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Tampico

Houston
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in Tampico

Does anybody know if it's safe to travel to Tampico, Tamps., Mexico?

East Lansing...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Tampico

I was there a year and half ago. I had a local host, whom I met while doing internship in Germany. She is Tampico local and showed me around. It was a great experience and I didn't have any problem in terms of safety. while hearing a lot about kidnapping and other crimes happening in Mexico City while I was there, I didn't hear anything unusual in Tampico, except a couple days after I got back to the US, my friend sent me an email and told me the restaurant she took me to when I first arrived was burned down.

Houston
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Tampico

Thank you for this Tampico, Mexico safety update. You were there one and a half years ago and during that time it was ok but what I will like to know is this year 2010, is it safe to travel to Tampico, Tamps., Mex. I hear that right now is now a good time to travel to Mexico as we might be in a cross-fire and get hurt or die. Right now there is so much insecurity that we will not have peace of mind going anywhere just thinking when will a cross-fire start. It's sad!

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Tampico

"Right now there is so much insecurity that we will not have peace of mind going anywhere just thinking when will a cross-fire start." Well if you feel that way then it certainly won't be worth coming. However no tourist has yet got killed in a crossfire. Personally I rate the chances of being killed by a terrorist as far, far greater (speaking as someone just returned from New York!). 99% of Mexico remains peaceful although Tampico has had an upsurge in drug-related violence recently.

Houston
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Tampico

Thank you for your prompt reply. I agree wth you, because of the insecurity in Mexico, I will not travel at this time until hopefully the situation improves. I don't think that people should put themselves in harms way. I love Mexico and especially Tampico where I was born but why take a risk where there is no need to. Even my own family who live in Tampico tell me that it's not safe to travel there. A month ago, they had what they call "Black Tuesday". All of the downtown stores had to close because of crossfires. I will pray that this stops so that we can resume our travels to Mexico.

Houston
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Tampico

Thank you for your prompt reply. I agree wth you, because of the insecurity in Mexico, I will not travel at this time until hopefully the situation improves. I don't think that people should put themselves in harms way. I love Mexico and especially Tampico where I was born but why take a risk where there is no need to. Even my own family who live in Tampico tell me that it's not safe to travel there. A month ago, they had what they call "Black Tuesday". All of the downtown stores had to close because of crossfires. I will pray that this stops so that we can resume our travels to Mexico.

6. Re: Safety in Tampico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2010, 15:38
Get answers to your questions about Tampico