We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Tampico

Houston
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in Tampico

Does anybody know if it's safe to travel to Tampico, Tamps., Mexico?

Mentioned in this post
Tampico
Tampico
Tamaulipas, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
East Lansing...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Tampico

I was there a year and half ago. I had a local host, whom I met while doing internship in Germany. She is Tampico local and showed me around. It was a great experience and I didn't have any problem in terms of safety. while hearing a lot about kidnapping and other crimes happening in Mexico City while I was there, I didn't hear anything unusual in Tampico, except a couple days after I got back to the US, my friend sent me an email and told me the restaurant she took me to when I first arrived was burned down.

Mentioned in this post
Tampico
Tampico
Tamaulipas, Mexico
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Houston
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Tampico

Thank you for this Tampico, Mexico safety update. You were there one and a half years ago and during that time it was ok but what I will like to know is this year 2010, is it safe to travel to Tampico, Tamps., Mex. I hear that right now is now a good time to travel to Mexico as we might be in a cross-fire and get hurt or die. Right now there is so much insecurity that we will not have peace of mind going anywhere just thinking when will a cross-fire start. It's sad!

Mentioned in this post
Tampico
Tampico
Tamaulipas, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,504 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Tampico

"Right now there is so much insecurity that we will not have peace of mind going anywhere just thinking when will a cross-fire start." Well if you feel that way then it certainly won't be worth coming. However no tourist has yet got killed in a crossfire. Personally I rate the chances of being killed by a terrorist as far, far greater (speaking as someone just returned from New York!). 99% of Mexico remains peaceful although Tampico has had an upsurge in drug-related violence recently.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Tampico
Tampico
Tamaulipas, Mexico
Houston
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Tampico

Thank you for your prompt reply. I agree wth you, because of the insecurity in Mexico, I will not travel at this time until hopefully the situation improves. I don't think that people should put themselves in harms way. I love Mexico and especially Tampico where I was born but why take a risk where there is no need to. Even my own family who live in Tampico tell me that it's not safe to travel there. A month ago, they had what they call "Black Tuesday". All of the downtown stores had to close because of crossfires. I will pray that this stops so that we can resume our travels to Mexico.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Tampico
Tampico
Tamaulipas, Mexico
Houston
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Tampico

Thank you for your prompt reply. I agree wth you, because of the insecurity in Mexico, I will not travel at this time until hopefully the situation improves. I don't think that people should put themselves in harms way. I love Mexico and especially Tampico where I was born but why take a risk where there is no need to. Even my own family who live in Tampico tell me that it's not safe to travel there. A month ago, they had what they call "Black Tuesday". All of the downtown stores had to close because of crossfires. I will pray that this stops so that we can resume our travels to Mexico.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Tampico
Tampico
Tamaulipas, Mexico
6. Re: Safety in Tampico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2010, 15:38
Get answers to your questions about Tampico