We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

american in tampico

1 post
Save Topic
american in tampico

Hi I am an american woman in my 20's and I want to go visit a friend who is mexican and lives in tampico. I am very concerned about traveling there. Is it safe and is there any americans living there? I want to go as soon as possible so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

1 reply
Tampico
Level Contributor
11 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: american in tampico

well, I bet your friend here in Tampico can help you. Getting here by plane is really safe because the airport is in the middle of the city, no need to hit the highway to get to/from. If you're getting here by bus avoid night trips. By road in a car with US license plates is something I would not recommend at all.

I think the city is safer now compared to the last year or so. Shootings are not as regular and nightlife is slowly coming back now, but do keep in mind this a city patrolled by Mexican army convoys with at least 10 heavily armed soldiers each with a machine gun. I doubt you would be of any interest to the cartels, but remember that thanks to the general situation the average mug is out of control.

Remember to always keep a low profile. If you're hanging out with locals (your friends in Tampico) you should be ok, they should know the dos and don'ts. If you don't know the city and your Spanish is not fluent I would recommend you stay close to your local friend(s).

take care

Reply to: american in tampico
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tampico
Recent Conversations