We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety

Shoreline...
Level Contributor
39 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
safety

I am looking to go to Tampico in the next few months but after reading the state department warning on traveling to this state am on the worried side. However, it does not list Tampico as one of the more dangerous cities to go to. I know that there has been one recent occuring of government crack downs on drug organizations and their activity.

I would be staying with a friend in a house and not going outside after dark as recommended. Has anyone been there recently from the U.S. that could comment on their experience and the level of safety and security within the city? Thanks.

Robert

Seattle, WA

6 replies to this topic
Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
699 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safety

Which is going to be the transport that you will use?

Plane, car, bus?

If the answer is plane, don't worry, Tampico at the moment is a safe place to stay (not the best beaches in Mexico, but they're ok), there hasn't been any major issue regarding to drug cartels on the recent past.

If you are trying to reach Tampico by ground, let me know it to suggest you the most peacefully route (not the shortest, actually, you will need to drive some extra hours to avoid the hot zones in the boarder between Tamaulipas-Texas)

Port Rowan, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: safety

Can you also let me know of this most peacefull route .We plan on using Pharr out of Texas 0then 97 to 101..What would susgest??

3. Re: safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2017, 02:42

1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: safety

Planning on traveling to Tampico via plane in September/October.

How safe is it to travel there or would we be "targets"?

Thanks!

5. Re: safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2017, 02:42

Philadelphia...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: safety

I'm also very interested and planning a trip in the fall. Any advice on safety would be very greatly appreciated

Reply to: safety
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tampico