We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tampico Events

Level Contributor
3 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Tampico Events

Hi everyone,

We will be moving to tampico on the first of December.

The plan is to stay 4 a 5 months.

I will be working and my wife will (hopefully) be "enjoying" Tampico.

Anyone got any tips on events in mexico / tampico during these 4 a 5 months?

Is it possible for an European woman to walk around in center / beach Tampico alone during the day?

Any other tips for sight seeing / restaurants / bars, DO's and DONT's?

Thanks!!!

6 replies to this topic
Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
690 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tampico Events

I'm not feeling good telling you this, but... Tampico is kinda boring, is a very small city with very average beaches of brown sand (not the shiny white sand of the Cancun/Caribbean).

Also, the hotel infrastructure is very limited, so, the options to hang out and/or going to party/drinking on the nights are few, the most active zone at daylight and night will be the Costera Avenue, but don't expect to find a lot of bars or clubs, maybe 3 or 4 inside the most important hotels of the zone, like the Best Western or Maeva Beach Club.

In downtown, you can find a lot of cantinas, but I will not recommend you to consider them as an option for hanging out.

The city is quiet and your wife will be ok if she wants to walk around the plazas or parks, but definitely the language will be an issue if she wants to communicate, it is hard to find someone that speak English outside the hotels' area.

There are some good news for you... if you can move a little bit, there are some wonderful places in the surrounding area.

For example: 3-4 hours driving, near Poza Rica, there is an archeological place called El Tajin, is just breath taking, a lot much better (as my point of view) than the cliche of Chichen Itza or any Mayan spot, is just beautiful, inside El Tajin, is my favorite pyramid of all the areceological sites I've visited, its name is: La Piramide de los 365 nichos.

Also, in February of each year, in the city of Veracruz (5-6 hours driving), the most important carnaval of Mexico takes place, it lasts 1 or 2 weeks.

In Tampico, every year between March and April, takes place a local fair too, but it doesn't figure as a major event for the rest of the country.

I can't remember any other important input, but you can feel free for ask.

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
690 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tampico Events

I just remembered another great place near Tampico... Xilitla, in San Luis Potosi, is only 3-4 hours driving and is an excellent place for trekking or outdoors activities, including extreme sports.

You can google it to watch the surreal landscape, the most iconic building is El Castillo de Edward James, is very popular as an 'undergound' spot for tourism.

Level Contributor
3 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tampico Events

Hi Jorge,

Thank you for your time taken to answer my questions, much appreciated.

Unfortunately I will be a bit stuck in Tampico due to my work.

(Above Altamira, industrial / harbour area.)

Hope to find some time to see the locations you mentioned: El Tajin, Xilitla.

Incl the great events you mentioned in February and March.

Are there any useful things to do for my wife in Tampico? (in English)

- Spanish lessons.

- (airplane / helicopter) flight lessons

- is there an Expat community?

- Diving lessons.

Do you have any tips for here to find a Part time job?

- English speaking

- School teacher

Thanks again.

Regards,

Boris

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
690 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tampico Events

Definitely fluent english teachers are always required all around Mexico and due the deficit of those teachers, is a well paid job (to the local standard, of course). It is easy to find chains of English Schools, the most important are: Harmon Hall, Quick Learning and Berlitz, and they're always hiring well skilled teachers.. if she doesn't speak spanish is not an issue, indeed is the opossite, because it obligates the students to make an extra effort to understand with no clues or keywords in Spanish, so your wife is overqualified.

Also, she can try in a private bilingual regular school for children (we know them as Colegios) but the salary is less than the English Schools mentioned above (they're more focused in adults).

Spanish lessons are rare to find, at least in an institute or a school, so, the best choice is to find a personal teacher and take the lessons at home, again, the schools mentioned above are the easiest way to find a bilingual teacher.

Moving on to the other issues, flight school in Tampico, the only one I've heard: http://aerodi.com/

Diving: I never saw anyone diving in Tampico because there are not corals near the beaches, so the tourist are not interested in that activity, and I assume is not a deal chance for the hotels.

And finally... I don't know if there are any expatriate or foreign community in Tampico, but for the location you gave me, I'm guessing you are going to work in something related to the oil, and most of the workers in that industry are foreigners, so I'm sure it will not be a big deal to find some conationals.

Level Contributor
3 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tampico Events

Hi Jorge,

Your a great Help, much appricated.

We are looking forwarded to arrive in Tampico.

Best regards,

Boris

Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tampico Events

Hi Boris,

how did it work out for you and your wife ? Good experience ?

Cheers, Terry

Reply to: Tampico Events
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tampico
Recent Conversations