We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will be there next week. Ok to swim??

waterwinnie
Level Contributor
126 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Will be there next week. Ok to swim??

After months of waiting we are finally making our way down to Cabo.

Is the ocean at freezing yet? Or ok to swim?

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
67,181 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will be there next week. Ok to swim??

The ocean doesn't freeze in Cabo, even in the winter. The water temperature gradually decreases from January thru June, then begins to rise. Robust swimmers can play in the water year round. The warmest water is reported to be in October & November, but I haven't yet had the pleasure of swimming in Cabo's bathtub temp water in those months.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
New York
Level Contributor
838 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will be there next week. Ok to swim??

Aside from the temperature, not all of Cabos waters are safe for swimming, some very strong currents and rough seas. Do some research on here to find out what is swimmable and what is not.

Mentioned in this post
Los Cabos
Los Cabos
Baja California Sur, Mexico
Chicago
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Will be there next week. Ok to swim??

Cabo is about 23 N and in comparison Miami about 25 N so it's not as far south as one might think so the waters do get chilly over the winter.

Add that and then cool pacific water and it can get a bit chilly around Feb / March.

It should be okay to swim on a Sunny / hot day at 85 degrees but will not be the most comfortable thing ever. The waters might be a bit warmer around San Jose although I've never been in the ocean there.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
San Jose
San Jose
California
California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,518 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will be there next week. Ok to swim??

I didn't get on the water but our friend went out almost everyday and loved it. We went to Chileno Bay one day and lots of people were snorkling and swimming there. It is on the cool side. Not warm like Hawaii water but not bad once you get in(I was told..hehe).

Mentioned in this post
Chileno Beach
Chileno Beach
2,295 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Portland, Or
Level Contributor
63 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will be there next week. Ok to swim??

Just returned and I found the water to be ok at Medano and Lover's beaches. It's not the warmest but it wasn't cold. Once in you will find yourself playing around for a long time.

As for safe Medano Beach and Lover's Beach are really safe. Medano Beach was very calm. Lot's of families playing in the water. They say not to swim in the water on the other side of Lover's beach(Divorce beach). I did anyways. So did a lot of others. In fact I had the most fun there than I've had anywhere else in a loooooooong time! I can see why they advise people to stay out of the surf. It has a current. If you have ever been to Sandy Beach on the eastern shore of Oahu than this would be child's play. Sandy Beach would be a place that I warn people not to play unless they are up to code! But at Divorce Beach as long as you know how to handle the waves and crests than you will be riding them all day!!!

Hope this helps

-Sunny(missing Cabo since 2/25/09)

Mentioned in this post
Medano Beach
Medano Beach
3,713 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Divorce beach
Divorce beach
143 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
67,181 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will be there next week. Ok to swim??

Sunny ~ in another message, Tooley posted that the waves on Solmar Beach (a few hundred yards from Divorce Beach) were not the wonderful huge crashing waves that she usually sees this time of year. It seems that the Pacific side was unusually calm in the latter part of February, and that's why swimming at Divorce Beach was do-able. Please take care if you visit Cabo again and think the waves will be the same. People have died and will continue to die as they underestimate the power of the ocean; I certainly don't want to read a report about you!

Divorce Beach: loscabosguide.com/beaches/divorcebeach.htm

Solmar Beach: …photobucket.com/albums/…SolMarBeach02.jpg (Divorce Beach is past the big rock at the end. This is not a "swimmable" day!)

Mentioned in this post
Solmar Resort
Solmar Resort
1,930 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Divorce beach
Divorce beach
143 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Portland, Or
Level Contributor
63 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will be there next week. Ok to swim??

PacificNWFamily - Thanks for the heads up. I was really wondering why people was so against swimming at Divorce Beach. I would never recommend anyone to swim in water with very strong currents.

If your friend is correct than I wasn't swimming in the *true* pacific surf of Divorce Beach. From what I experienced recently the surf at Divorce Beach is tranquil compared to the conditions at Sandy Beach in Oahu. I must also mention that I would never get in the water at North Shore during the winter. It will remind you of a washing machine. I wouldn't even go near the water there! Is it similar at Divorce Beach when the current is *wild*???

I just had so much fun in it......But will take your advice on how it normally is.....

Thanks again....

Sunny

Mentioned in this post
Divorce beach
Divorce beach
143 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
8. Re: Will be there next week. Ok to swim??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 20:17