We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabo Beach Help

Howard Beach, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Cabo Beach Help

Hello All,

I am planning on going to Cabo in April and I'm leaning towards staying at one of the Riu hotels. The problem I am having is that I'm not sure if the beach that the Riu has access to is calm enough for daily swimming. Do you guys know if the beach that Riu has access to is fine for swimming? If not, can you recommend an all inclusive hotel with access to a beach that is calm enough? I don't mind waves but I just don't want to be caught in a rip tide!!!

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo...
7,322 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,507 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabo Beach Help

It is not usually safe for swimming but I have seen some people attempt it. The only swimmable beach in Cabo itself is Medano beach. There are no all inclusives on Medano. The Riu properties are the closest AIs to town- you could walk to Medano beach in about 20-25 minutes.

Most of the resorts in Cabo are fabulous timeshare resorts. If you don't have to go AI, let us know and we will reccommend some for you.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Medano Beach
Medano Beach
3,795 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo...
7,322 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabo Beach Help

No, the beach at the Riu's is not swimmable 90% of the time. It's not just the waves, it's the currents and rip tide. Although when I was there in Nov 2007 I did swim right at the Riu Palace beach one day. The wind, currents and waves were completely different that day and many people, including kids with their parents, were in the ocean. But do not count on it. There really are not any other AI's on Medano Beach, the only swimmable beach within 10 minutes of downtown Cabo San Lucas. Some hotel/resorts do have AI options like Tesoro on the marina, Villa del Arco on Medano Beach. I am sure there are some others that will chime in here with suggestions. The Riu's are the only true AI's close to Cabo town. I stayed at the Palace and since I love swimming in the ocean we would just walk 20 min. down the beach and hang out htere. Lots of beach restaurants and bars so it's a fun day. Rented jet ski's and had lunch, etc. Many here will tell you not to go AI since Cabo has great restaurants but I know AI is a good choice for some. I know there are more AI's on the corridor and in San Jose but if you want to be within 10 min of Cabo than the Rui's are it.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo...
7,322 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Medano Beach
Medano Beach
3,795 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Tesoro Los Cabos
Tesoro Los Cabos
2,223 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa Cabo San Lucas
Villa del Arco Beach...
3,003 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
San Jose
San Jose
California
Howard Beach, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabo Beach Help

WOW You guys are quick!

The reason I'm looking for an AI is because I am a college student and will be going with a group of students so it seems to be the best bang for your buck. Thanks for the info guys!

cabo san lucas
Level Contributor
2,202 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cabo Beach Help

well in april the season winds and currents come from the pacific side, so it will be calm in front of the riu, its deep right off the beach so watch the entry, but the biggest worry will be the cold, april is the start of the coldest time, look for low 60's high 50's ...bbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr also the water taxis and waverunners will be coming in and out of the beach, the waves don't break like a surf break, they are a shore break, so don't hang around the waters edge... pack booties and gloves!

Sammamish...
Level Contributor
338 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cabo Beach Help

Beginning of april 2008 water was comfortably warm - I would guess about 70 ish

Olympia, WA
Level Contributor
10,064 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cabo Beach Help

kid, another option might be the Villa del Palmar. Someone mentioned the Villa del Arco earlier and the Palmar is a sister resort. It's not as new as the del Arco, so rates are lower, and I see a lot of college folks there. It is not a true all-inclusive but you can buy an all-inclusive package that allows you to eat MOST everything at their restaurants and provides alcohol (except premium brands, I believe). If I recall, it's about $70/day for each individual and everybody staying in the room has to sign up for it. Anyway, that is an option.

Mentioned in this post
Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos
Villa del Palmar Beach...
5,720 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa Cabo San Lucas
Villa del Arco Beach...
3,003 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Howard Beach, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cabo Beach Help

Is it really that cold? All the weather websites I saw state that the average high in Cabo is 86 with a low of 58. Are you guys suggesting Cabo in April is a no go?

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,507 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cabo Beach Help

caboticket was talking about the water temps- they are coldest from March-June. The air temps will be great!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
69,260 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cabo Beach Help

nykid ~ the water is chilly. The air temperature is hot.

Here are some photos I collected. If caboticket says that the water is likely to be calm during your trip, I'd believe him. He's a dive master so he really knows water.

Wiki map: wikimapia.org/…2

RIU Santa Fe Resort layout: riubambu.com/RIU_WEB_PAGES/…SanteFe.jpg

Photos of Santa Fe resort, click PHOTOS and look toward the end of them to see a great aerial view of the Santa Fe nestled around the Palace: sunquestvacations.ca/destinations/hotels/RIU…

Photos of the beach: usual wild waves www.tripadvisor.com/members-photos/mermaid132 and an unusual calm day a bit closer to Medano Beach http://tinyurl.com/7q9but

Mentioned in this post
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
Medano Beach
Medano Beach
3,795 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
10. Re: Cabo Beach Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 04:19