We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arepas?

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Arepas?

After watching Throwdown with Bobby Flay last night, I want to try an Arepa...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arepa

It is a common dish in the DR, Costa Rica, Columbia, and Venezula.

But was wondering if anyone had seen them on a menu here?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
La Casona
$$$$, Seafood, Steakhouse
Sunset Point
$$ - $$$, Italian, Pizza, Wine Bar
El Peregrino
$$ - $$$, Mexican, Steakhouse, Seafood
Portland Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Arepas?

Being the self proclaimed food expert of Cabo (just kidding), I have never seen anything that resembles this on a menu in Cabo.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Portland Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Arepas?

Being the self proclaimed food expert of Cabo (just kidding), I have never seen anything that resembles this on a menu in Cabo.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Portland Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Arepas?

Sorry for the double post!!!!!!!

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arepas?

Thanks Trapper, I figured as much. I've lived here for 2 months now, but haven't dined everywhere, yet!

Tacoma, Wash
Level Contributor
12,763 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arepas?

I saw that too! they looked wonderfull. Well...you just need to get out the griddle. Get the ingredients and take a try yourself!!

Los Cabos
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Arepas?

These are very similar to the Mexican Sope. They can be found sometimes at the restaurants in Cabo where the locals eat. It is not a common menu item at the tourist restaurants, because they are considered sort of like local "soul food." Here in Cabo the maize bread is on the bottom with the filling on top, usually fried beans. They also have them fresh made every Sunday morning at the Cabo del Sol Golf Clubhouse buffet. Oh, Las Guacamayas has them too.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Cabo del Sol
Cabo del Sol
40 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Las Guacamayas
Las Guacamayas
621 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
La Paz, Mexico
Level Contributor
210 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Arepas?

Arepas are often very much like empanadas here (or maybe a cross between empanadas and tamales) with the bread stuffed with meat and cheese or other things and fried up. At least, that's how the ex used to make them. I'm not a big Colombian food fan, usually very dull and boring, but arepas are the highlight. You have to have them with the aji sauce - suite101.com/blog/…colombian_aji_recipe - which really gives them an acidy bite. Kinda like blended pico de gallo with several interesting twists. Like empanadas and tamales, they are labor intensive to make.

8. Re: Arepas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2009, 13:22