We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Honeymoon which resort is better???

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Topic
My Honeymoon which resort is better???

Hi there,

I'm getting married in October and my fiance and I are planning are honeymoon for two weeks in Los Cabos.

I'm not sure which one is better; the Riu Sante Fe or Riu Las Cabos.

Can anyone advise? Any opinons would be great!

thanks,

Mentioned in this post
Los Cabos
Los Cabos
Baja California Sur, Mexico
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
8,420 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo...
7,157 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
67,189 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Honeymoon which resort is better???

My guess is that you are comparing the RIU Santa Fe and the RIU Palace. The SF is newer, less expensive, larger, and 80% behind the Palace (one building on the beach.) The Palace is just a bit older, is slightly more expensive, and is on the beach.

They are about 2 miles from downtown Cabo, so if you want to spend time in town (recommended to get a delicious Gordo Lele taco, to shop for "stuff", or perhaps for some nightlife), you'll have a longish walk or a $10 taxi ride.

The vast majority of resorts in Cabo are regular, not All Inclusive. You've decided on one of the two resorts that are AI. The food is so good in Cabo, that most of us prefer to stay at a timeshare resort for lots less money and to go in to town for dinner. But there are many travelers who like the ease of AI and the very social RIU Santa Fe.

Other differences between those two: Palace guests can use the Santa Fe, but SF guests cannot use the Palace (sometimes SF guests are allowed to visit, but most report being turned away.) Neither is on a swimmable portion of the beach; Medano Beach is the only swimmable beach in Cabo and is about a 20 minute walk. Here is the wiki map: wikimapia.org/…2 SF (outline) & Palace at the upper right; Medano Beach at the lower left. Here is another photo: sunquestvacations.ca/destinations/hotels/RIU… Look toward the end of the photos and choose "Riu Santa Fe aerial." And here is a comparison from another TA member: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g152515-i84-k25614…

I don't like to stay in one place for two weeks, so if this were my Los Cabos honeymoon, I'd stay for a week or so at the All Inclusive Presidente in San Jose (fabulous service, more authentic town, adjacent to the estuary, but no swimming.) Then I'd take a $35 taxi and move to Cabo for the second week, staying at a timeshare resort; Playa Grande or Solmar on unswimmable Solmar Beach ~ adjacent to downtown or at Casa Dorada, PB Blanco, or maybe Villa del Arco (get a view suite ~ rent a week from a timeshare owner.) But I already went on my honeymoon, so you get to pick your own romantic vacation to lovely Los Cabos. I just don't think the RIU SF meets most folks' expectations of romance.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
8,420 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo...
7,157 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
Medano Beach
Medano Beach
3,712 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Los Cabos
Los Cabos
San Jose
San Jose
California
Playa Grande Resort
Playa Grande Resort
4,170 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Solmar Resort
Solmar Resort
1,930 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Casa Dorada Los Cabos Resort & Spa
Casa Dorada Los Cabos...
2,133 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa Cabo San Lucas
Villa del Arco Beach...
2,933 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
PRINCETON
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,050 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Honeymoon which resort is better???

Excellent info by PNW....for two weeks...definitely split it up to get the most out of Los Cabos. And the Presidente is the way to go for staying in San Jose. Don't limit yourself to AI in Cabo. Way too many great places to eat, and it doesn't have to be expensive. If you are interested in renting from an owner, look at myresortnetwork.com or vrbo.com for pricing.

Mentioned in this post
Los Cabos
Los Cabos
San Jose
San Jose
California
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Seattle
Level Contributor
48,448 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Honeymoon which resort is better???

I agree with the idea of two places for two weeks.

I you choose do an RIU, I'd go with the one closest to Medano beach so you can get into downtown. But personally I'd never do an AI in Cabo (too many great restaurants).

Maybe for the second week look at the places that are around the tip like Solmar, Finisterra, Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach area?

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo...
7,157 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Medano Beach
Medano Beach
3,712 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Solmar Resort
Solmar Resort
1,930 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Golf & Spa Resort
Pueblo Bonito Sunset...
10,723 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,457 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My Honeymoon which resort is better???

Actually the 2 Riu properties are right next to each other,as posted above. The Santa Fe sits behind the Palace. But they are both the same distance to town.

For a honeymoon I personally would not choose a huge AI that attracts alot of families. If you must do all inclusive I agree that the Presidente would be much better. Then a week in Cabo as the others have suggested so you get a taste of both towns.

Congratulations!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo...
7,157 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
5. Re: My Honeymoon which resort is better???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2009, 14:18