We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety!

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jackson
6 posts
Save Topic
Safety!

Ok, I know this is the best place to get honest advise. My best friend and I will be staying at the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar. On a serious note, how safe is it for two women to be going into Cabo San Lucas and Jose del Cabo alone. Any additional thoughts on being there at night? Getting back to the Hotel safely if you have had a couple of cocktails? (not wasted)

I appreciate your input. First time in Cabo. I'm not paranoid! There are safety issues anywhere you travel. Just trying to be a smart traveler.

Thanks!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,076 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety!

You're right. Just be a safe traveler and use your usual street-smarts. Don't flash nice jewelry. Don't buy drugs. Don't walk around drunk. It's pretty easy to stay safe, especially with a buddy.

Have fun!

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,798 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety!

How safe is it? I travel alone all over Mexico and I stayed all this past winter in Cabo...and am still alive!!

Leave your jewelry home, don't carry anymore money than you know you will need each day...don't drink and get stupid (saw lots of that)...don't fall for any "pick up lines"...(there are some real bad ones)...get a good map at the airport...the National Rental car one is the best...and use it!!

Read all my Walking Around Cabo posts and videos...top questions...upper right hand of this page...and you will see that I didn't hide in my apartment...I was out and about and walking everywhere...and had the most wonderful time...and can't wait to return. I found the Old Town part of Cabo to get my bakery items, my fresh fruits and veggies, and the fish market...and really loved that area.

I have travelled the world for my business...and now just CHOOSE to go to Mexico. I love the Mexican people best of all...and prefer to rent, eat, buy my things from the Mexican merchants. And CABO...I will be back for sure!

Jackson
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety!

Thank you Pacific and Travel Judy!!!!

Just what I wanted to hear. We are very attentive to our surroundings and don't over drink. I'll just have to convince my friend to leave her jewelry at home. I love this site!

Very much appreciated!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,223 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety!

I agree with the above. I do not leave all my jewelry at home, however. I don't bring all my valuables, but I don't leave the few good pieces I wear all the time at home either. Just don't wear lots of it, and keep it somewhat subtle ;) I have been traveling to Cabo and having a girlfriend join me there for several years now, and we are very comfortable walking back to Solmar Beach at night, after dinner in town. Granted, we aren't usually out past 9-10pm, and aren't partiers, but have never felt a bit uncomfortable. This past May I went alone for the first time, and also felt totally okay. Had a girlfriend that owns a little hotel in Los Barriles come down for one night, and we walked 'home' from a late dinner at Patagonia's (probably around 11p) and were totally comfortable with that also. As you said, just be a smart traveler, and don't do anything you wouldn't do at home. In fat, I wouldn't walk home in my little town at 11P! so I find Cabo very comfortable.

PRINCETON
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,751 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety!

In regards to the taxi back and forth to town....be sure to get the rate before you get in so as no to get overcharged when you get to your destination. Not sure what the rate should be...hopefully someone else see this and can give you an idea of what the charge should be

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety!

Cabo is very safe, never felt threatened here at all. Much better than many major US metropolitan areas.

Why would anyone bring jewelry here anyway? It is not like you will be attending a Viennese ball. Just be smart, don't carry too much cash, leave extra credit cards and passport in hotel safe.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
465 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety!

Do the jewelry recommendations imply leaving wedding rings at home? !

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,223 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety!

I don't leave my rings (not wedding) at home. I also don't take them off to wash my hands however-ever, in Cabo or anywhere else. They aren't 'huge', so perhaps if they were, I'd feel differently.

Yout taxi charge will depend on where your hotel is. Most places 'in town' run around $6 US......but I pay in pesos if I have them............if you are past the mall, it seems to be $8 to and from town........or at least it was the time I did cab from Medano to Solmar Beach.

Cabo San Lucas...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
2,722 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety!

Regarding wedding rings: A friend of mine travels with an alternative wedding ring but I think it's on the "OMG look at the size of that rock size" - which slightly annoys her husband as he prefers it never leaves her finger :-) but I'm in the mindset, I'm more likely to lose it if I remove it ... however I wouldn't go diving with it (shiny objects).

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,263 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety!

I do leave my wedding ring at home not because I think someone will take it but because of all the sunscreen that would get stuck in it if I left it on and I would probably lose it if I took it off. I wear a faux ring instead.