We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

O&O Palmilla - Expectations

houston
1 post
2 reviews
O&O Palmilla - Expectations

I've been sufficiently convinced this is "it" as far as SJdC goes, so we're booked. Being moderately cheap by nature, I am best primed w/ realistic expectations, so maybe you can help! I'm fully aware that it's uber expensive once you're there, but can anyone offer more detail?

- we like our daytime drinking - how much for beers? is the $25 per cocktail for real?

- how tough is it to get to town? taxi fare?

- is it one of those places where you don't leave or are daytime and dinners off campus too much of a hassle?

Again, we're totally cool w/ whatever the terms are, I just enjoy it more when I know what I'm getting into. Thanks!

St James, New York
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
18,224 posts
176 reviews
1. Re: O&O Palmilla - Expectations

The Taxis to town are not expensive. About $10 for 4 people one way.There is a Megamart store right in town that you can buy beer very inexpensivly to enjoy on your balcony.

oklahoma...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
2. Re: O&O Palmilla - Expectations

You have made a wise choice. It's our favorite place - we have been there over a dozen times since '99 even before it was an O&O property. Our last visit was last July-very slow (30% occupancy due to swine flue scare and drug war rumors)-they had the main restaurant(The Market-outdoors) closed at breakfast, which had always been our favorite breakfast menu and location. They also were not doing the weekly Mexican dinner up at the chapel, which I would recommend if its being offered during your stay. That said, we still had a great trip. By the way, you are in the very best location and will be and feel very secure.

-Beer by the pool or in room -$5.00-6.00 a bottle, which is no different than any Four Seasons in the states.

-Drinks/wine-depending upon the type of liquor, a drink ranges from $15.00 on up depending upon the type of liquor you order. A friend from Scottsdale who was not staying at the hotel but who was there for dinner said that he was charged $50 for his martini that he had ordered in the bar while waiting on his table. It was some type of fancy liquor/martini they offered him that he didn't think to ask the price. Just know what you are ordering and don't assume that a premium liquor will be at a resort price that you are used to in the states. Wine prices are much more outragous than any pricing in the states. I don't think you can buy a bottle at the hotel for less than $70- 80 and that is for an inexpensive wine that you can buy in the states or the local store for $15( I have met and talked to many guests over the years that are well traveled and that are used to "paying a premium" and the only sticker shock they have are the wine prices at the hotel), even when paying $1,300 and upwards per night during the holiday season! There used to be a little market at the Palmilla Shops where you could get reasonably priced wine and beer-several times I would buy a few bottles there so I could have it in my room without paying the high wine prices. At Christmas and in July the store appeared to be closed and no longer in business.

-Very easy to get to San Jose-taxis are called by the bellmen and are at the hotel in less than a minute(they are parked just down the street near the the public beach entrance area). The cost to town is $15.00 and back is a bit less. It takes approx.10 minutes to get to San Jose. We have never rented a car and usually during a 7-8 night stay we go into town or off property maybe twice for dinner. The grounds and two restaurants at the hotel are so nice that you usually don't want to leave the property,especially if its your first visit.

-Other great and maybe even better options for restaurants other than going to Cabo or San Jose can be found at either the Pamilla Shops,which is only a $5.00 cab ride or at French Riveria at Club 96, literally within walking distance of the hotel. We ate at Nik Sans and French Rivera at Christmas and both were great-10-20% less than the hotel. Palmilla Shops offer Nik Sans or Manual's. We ate at both last summer. Manual's is approx. 20-30% less than Agua or The Market. Again, very good food as well.

Enjoy your stay.

3. Re: O&O Palmilla - Expectations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2010, 21:03
4. Re: O&O Palmilla - Expectations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2011, 13:16