We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eta delay

São Paulo
Level Contributor
7 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
eta delay

We are traveling on family, we have asked the ETA for the 4 of us but additional information was required only for my 5 year son, the other requests were approved within hours . We submitted the form requested cor my son on May 3rd but we haven't had any update since then. We are concern because the flight is schedule for June 21st

Anyone with the same issue? I am thinking about change my flight to seatle and then go to Vancouver by train, any idea?

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver to Victoria and Butchart...
1,361 Reviews
from US$162.90*
Free Cancellation
Niagara Falls Canadian Side Tour and...
920 Reviews
from US$109.95*
Free Cancellation
Vancouver North Shore Day Trip with...
557 Reviews
from US$120.20*
Free Cancellation
23 replies to this topic
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
80,679 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: eta delay

Hi agmacedo;

If an eTA is NOT issued for your son, his passport will most likely be flagged as "inadmissible". Entry by land will most likely be denied.

It is exactly reasons such as this that the regulars on this forum always suggest waiting to make any non-refundable purchases (flights, accommodations, etc) until *after* all eTA's have been approved.

Best Regards

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: eta delay

Is anyone at Immigration Canada wondering why the system is flagging a 5 year old??? I see such stories enough that I think I am going to ask my MPs office for some details on how well this program is working so far.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
65,635 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: eta delay

Hello agmacedo ~

It is frustrating when there is no communication from IIRC. You have submitted the form they requested. That's good. I hope you included your travel date of 21 June in the application form.

You can ask a case specific question if you like from your account in the website. They may only say that your application is in progress, I'm not sure.

If you have flexible tickets (cancellations and changes are permitted), you may want to consider changing your flights to a later date if you don't hear from IIRC by 14-15 June. It would be expensive to change your flights because you would have to pay the change fee for each ticket and the difference in price between the old ticket and the new one. The only way I would change my flights is if I booked them directly with the airline, not through a third party booker. The alternative would be to lose your tickets all together.

This is a really tough position to be in. I hope you hear from IIRC soon.

São Paulo
Level Contributor
7 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: eta delay

Hi RescueTeam, tks for your repply

Indeed I should have wait, I believed that this was a very staight fwd automatic process, and since we dont have any background issue it would not be an issue.

Regarding the ETA, it is required only when you travel by air correct? If I go by land the border control will be done in US

São Paulo
Level Contributor
7 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: eta delay

I agree :(

Now the status says it is performing a background check on my son

São Paulo
Level Contributor
7 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: eta delay

Hi, thanks for the suggestions

I sent an online enquiry twice, the first one took 2 weeks to be repplied and they just told that it was being processing, the second one was not replied yet.

I have my vacation time already booked at work and I cant change, I am thinking about going by land or I will have to change my plans and lose all the money.

My sons are very excited to travel with the motorhome, it will be very sad to change plans now

This is so frustating!

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
20,135 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: eta delay

The same thing causing a problem with the eTA will cause a problem with a land crossing I think.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
80,679 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: eta delay

Thank-you Frommy !

I thought I had covered that in my reply, but the OP appears to have missed it !

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
80,679 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: eta delay

agmacedo;

It is the same computer system that has flagged your son as "inadmissible" that is in use at the land crossing / Point of Entry.

As I commented above, entry by land, will most likely be denied.

Best Regards

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: eta delay

I agree the computer is the same but the difference is that the live CBSA officer at the land entry will be able to see a 5 year old and maybe use common sense (I have seen lots of them do so).

Reply to: eta delay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted