We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mozzies

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
404 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Mozzies

I'm in Puerto aventuras mid November Iv heard that mosquitos are a big problem In Mexico, is this true? Staying at catalonia riveria maya resort. Any repellents recommended etc?

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
8 replies to this topic
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,142 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mozzies

IME, the only thing that's effective against mosquitoes is DEET, which is pretty nasty stuff (it melts plastic!), so I only use it when absolutely necessary.

My favourite brand is "OFF", it comes in various scents, I find the "family" one to be the least offensive.

If OFF isn't available in the UK, just look for any repellant with 25% DEET,

FWIW, I've tried the OFF wipes and although they were better than nothing, they didn't work that well for me.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,726 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mozzies

Mosquitoes love me and I am allergic to the numbing agent they first inject when the start to bite -YOUCH! Anyway, I agree with the Hola's DEET comment but 25% does not cut it for me, it is like I am wearing nothing so I have to go with the 40% ...at least I don't have to use 100% yet! So you may want to bring a variety of % and use the lowest one that works for you.

Seattle
Level Contributor
2,068 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mozzies

Several years ago (Nov 2007) as soon as I got home i was sicker than a Dog (never been so sick) turns out I had Dengue Fever, 99% likely I was bitten by mozzie in PDC area. took me 2 months to recover fully. DEngue is at epidemic levels in Mexico and the RM. we nor make sure we have pertection if that is even possible.

At the beach is usually not a problem, however inland a 100 yards around vegitation and standing water be vigilent especially at dusk.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
404 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mozzies

Thank you for your replies, I'll have a look for off spray online i don't think they do it in England.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mozzies

I think it all depends on the humidity (rain=mosquitoes) and the area you are around, lush-jungle-tress-bushes, etc. We have never had a problem in November with them in many trips. Our stay in August last year was miserably horrible. We stayed at the Iberostar Mayan Palace which has mangroves-stagnatic water all over the place which could also been a contributing factor. Either way, November we love!

Mentioned in this post
Mayan Palace at Vidanta Riviera Maya
Mayan Palace at Vidanta...
4,411 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
5,130 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mozzies

I am allergic to DEET and was recommended by my travel clinic that the ingredient Picaridin is just as effective. I have used it the last 5 years and it works just as well. I buy a product from Amazon called Natrapel but there are others with picaridin. If there is a mosquito anywhere, it will find me, the Natrapel really helps.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mozzies

If you can't use DEET, another effective strategy is to pre-treat your clothing with permethrin. Applied correctly, it can be an effective deterrent for several clothes-washing cycles. Of course, you should also use picaridin on uncovered skin areas.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
5,130 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mozzies

If you have trouble with DEET you may also have trouble with permethrin, and when it's on your clothes you can't get away from it. For people with skin sensitivities, it's not a good plan.

Reply to: Mozzies
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Aventuras