We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about the Mayan palace?

Cullman, Alabama
Level Contributor
58 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Question about the Mayan palace?

My son will be in his second week of boot camp while we are here. Will we be able to mail letters back to the states from this resort?

3 replies to this topic
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
10,324 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about the Mayan palace?

Not really. The Mexican mail system is extremely S-L-O-W and it may take months for a letter to reach its destination in the States (if it gets there at all). My recommendation would be to use e-mail or another form of electronic communication.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
17,402 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about the Mayan palace?

Having had two sons in boot camp, I can understand your interest in staying in touch with him. My sons were US Marines at MCRD in San Diego.

Snail mail from Mexico is notoriously slow. The last few postcards I mailed took 6 to 8 weeks. Your son will be in his next assignment before he gets anything, via the post office.

If your question has to do with actually getting something to him via snail mail while in boot camp, it's not going to happen. Is that the only way to get in touch with him ---- must admit, my sons were in boot camp in the mid-90's so I don't know what they allow the recruits to receive these days.

How do you communicate with him in the US? The best suggestion is to contact Mail Boxes Etc. in Puerto Vallarta. We've stayed at Mayan Palace recently and there are no options there, but MBE in PV might be able to help you.

Feel free to post your question on the Puerto Vallarta TripAdvisor Forum, if you are intent on getting something to him via snail mail. As I recall, in the mid-90's, recruits were not allowed to receive phone calls, etc. The military does not want them distracted.

Good luck!--- to both you and your son, and thanks for his commitment to service.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Mayan Palace at Vidanta Nuevo Vallarta
Mayan Palace at Vidanta...
1,458 Reviews
Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
Cullman, Alabama
Level Contributor
58 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about the Mayan palace?

Thank you. The only communication during this week will be snail mail for encouragement. I will just prewrite letters for that week and have family mail them. I have already downloaded the Usps informed delivery app, so I will know if he sends anything. I can get family to read it to me over the phone.

Thanks for reply

Reply to: Question about the Mayan palace?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted