We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Security and Wrist Bands

England
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Security and Wrist Bands

I'm concerned about the reports of thefts from the hotel room safes. Is this still an issue?

And I hate the idea of having to wear wrist bands - my wife and I usually cruise all inclusive with Celebrity and they manage without wrist bands. We've never been anywhere with them - we did not think a good hotel would use them, they seem so tacky. Tui never mentioned them before we booked and we only say mention of them on here. What are they made of and can you remove them? We're thinking of cancelling our holiday because of them.

All-inclusive hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
#1 of 28 hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Marival Residences Luxury Resort
Marival Residences Luxury Resort
#4 of 28 hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta
Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta
#5 of 28 hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
22 replies to this topic
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Security and Wrist Bands

Which hotel? Different hotels have different security policies and wristbands.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,743 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Security and Wrist Bands

Welcome to The forum and your first post.

They are for your Security.!!!!

. example at a All Inclusive, they are not resorts where others can wander in and out,. And some that have Condos , or all inclusive options ,where you can pay for a meal or drink.

Some have a sister hotel, band allows you to go inside.

There are undesirables , whom have been know to get into a resort and do Not so nice things...these bands Help deter that..

Do not cut off,, or loose,, as they must be removed only on departure or you will be charged...

Edited: 21 February 2018, 00:37
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
34 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Security and Wrist Bands

I personally like the wrist bands. We stay at Vidanta and it also is our room key. We never have to worry about forgetting it! Only downfall is when you go down town. We all have tourist written all over our faces but its nice to not have them know where you are staying. I try to cover mine up if possible.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Security and Wrist Bands

Some places have more comfortable wristbands than others. The Iberostar was a ribbon like material with a number engraved which you could use to make purchases in the shop.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
13,662 posts
576 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Security and Wrist Bands

Some resorts like the Velas chain have lovely braided hemp like bands...others like Vidante have the room key embedded int he wrsit band, I love that concept.

They are for your security and the hotels ..I always wear mine on my left arm I am a righty. I never take them off when I go into town etc., I see no reason. So a guy or girl trying to get you to go to a timeshare know where you are staying, no biggie, Just smile and say no thanks.

I cannot imagine cancelling due to a wristband.

Cruise ships have no need for such, not like someone is goign to swim the ocean and climb aboard for a meal or room.

If a problem for you just have them put it on loosely so you can slip it off.

Mentioned in this post
Velas Vallarta
Velas Vallarta
3,941 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
69 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Security and Wrist Bands

I would second what bezerk states about the Grand Velas wrist bands. While I do not even wear a watch in everyday life, the GV wristbands are actually quite nice. My wife and kids wear them long after we leave the resort each time we have gone. They are already looking forward to getting their next one in June... The are indeed some sort of braided material with a metal piece on them that is the Velas symbol. They are essentially color coded based on the day you are scheduled to leave the resort.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Velas Riviera...
2,884 Reviews
Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
Velas Vallarta
Velas Vallarta
3,941 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,303 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Security and Wrist Bands

I agree with the OP. I wouldn’t stay somewhere that I had to wear one. I generally don’t stay at resorts anyway, but, if I did, it would be one without wrist bands. Just me, though, nothing wrong with not minding them.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,662 posts
576 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Security and Wrist Bands

I do know one person who has them put hers on very loosely and then she slides it off and attaches to her beach bag. I also know of some who put the on their ankles.

You need to do and go where you are comfortable but maybe check on wrist band issue first if is a huge issue for you.

We are all different as are resort rules.

Happy vacations

Alpena, Michigan
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Security and Wrist Bands

Just got back from the Riu Palace and they have wrist bands. They put it on at the beginning and cut it

off at the end. Never thought about it in-between - a non issue. Actually wished I could have worn it home

so I could have flashed it to my friends.

Edited: 24 February 2018, 05:40
Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,662 posts
576 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Security and Wrist Bands

Wesrob..so funny. We tend to wear our bands if left on..for many days afterwards as well lol.

Reply to: Security and Wrist Bands
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted