We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about day passes for the park

NJ
Level Contributor
118 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Question about day passes for the park

Everyone on this forum makes traveling so much easier! I thought it would be better to get my pass online so I don't have to wait in line some place when we get to the Banff area. Could you please tell me if we need one pass per car or if we have two people in the car, do we need two passes? Would this be the correct site to order from? https:/…parks-pass-online

My next question is - When we are driving to various sites near Banff and Lake Louise, how will we tell where to get in line with our car to be in the car lane for people who already have passes vs those who don't?

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
4 replies to this topic
Edmonton
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about day passes for the park

There is only one place where you would get in line with your car, and that is at the park gate. If you have a pass, you could avoid the gate line up, by staying in the extreme right hand lane as you leave Canmore on the hwy. There are overhead signs indicating that. You do not have to stop in that lane, it is straight through. Make sure you have a pass, as there are fines for "cheating", and besides the dollars are used for park maintenance. As it is likely your first trip to the park, I suggest if you bypass the gate, you make sure you go to a National Park office in Banff or Lake Louise to get info and what to be aware of for wildlife.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 02:30
Mentioned in this post
Canmore
Canmore
Kananaskis Country, Canada
Banff
Banff
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
7,915 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about day passes for the park

For two adults in a single car, you need a group/multi-person pass. The only time two single person (one person in one car) passes work out better are for senior citizens or one adult and one kid (kids are free).

That link is correct and you can simply enter the number of adults, seniors and kids and it will show you the most cost-effective passes.

The Banff east gates are the only place you have to get in line if you don't have a pass. In past years, they also have had gates up at the ends of the Icefields Parkway. However, at least currently the gates houses are gone and they are doing construction in that area. But they may have them up and running again soon. Probably are checking at the Jasper end. That said, they do spot checks for passes in other locations, so make sure you pass is always clearly displayed and current.

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
18,872 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about day passes for the park

this is a streetview of the overhead sign before the toll booths which shows the right lanes pass thru for pass holders. https://goo.gl/maps/GjUBmrT2xcy

NJ
Level Contributor
118 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about day passes for the park

Thank you very much everyone for taking the time to post! We don't have very much time for our trip and I am trying to plan everything as correctly as I can (although you never know what will happen!) The photo of the signs was very helpful!

Reply to: Question about day passes for the park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted