We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help for late July - early August

San Francisco
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary Help for late July - early August

Hello,

I was hoping the experts out there could lend a helping hand. My wife and I are planning a trip to the parks this coming summer. We will be traveling for 12 nights, renting a car at Calgary airport. We started planning late and so a bit of our itinerary was based on what we could find lodging wise.

Currently we plan to stay 3 nights in Banff, 2 nights Moraine Lake, 4 nights Jasper, 2 nights Lake Louise, and we have 1 free night before leaving.

We plan to do a lot of hiking, not to strenuous but perhaps 6-10 miles per day average. Also we would like to spend some time just paddling on the lakes. Dinning out and seeing the towns is certainly on the list.

Please can you comment on our itinerary - does it make sense - where to spend extra night? Also could you recommend any specific hikes/activities that are a must not miss.

Thanks so much for your advice!

6 replies to this topic
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,717 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help for late July - early August

Your itinerary sounds fine.

There are more than enough hikes to fill the time you have ... a few I’d recommend are Larch valley (Moraine Lake), Plain of Six Glaciers (Lake Louise), Wilcox Pass, Parker Ridge (both a bit south of the Icefields visitor centre), the Bald Hills or Opal HIlls (at Maligne Lake). There are various hikes in Yoho National Park ... I am not as familiar with them but Emerald Lake, and Emerald Basin are nice, shorter hikes.

There are lots of other, shorter walks, in all the parks.

The national park websites are a great resource: www.pc.gc.ca/banff www.pc.gc.ca/jasper www.pc.gc.ca/yoho

Paddling on lakes is expensive. The hourly rental rate on Lakes Louise and Moraine is over $100 per hour. Emerald Lake is a bit less, as is Maligne Lake, and rentals in Banff townsite.

Information on “must see’s” and other useful information can be found in the Top Questions here on the Banff forum, and also other forums (hop on up to the Banff National Park forum and the Canadian Rockies forums to see more TQ’s.) You need to be viewing the forums using a browser to see the TQs, rather than using the app or mobile site.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help for late July - early August

Thanks for your reply. Any suggestions for the last night - in terms of where to stay given our overall Itinerary?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31,974 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help for late July - early August

Yup! Drumheller! Its about 3 hours from Banff and 1.5 hours from Calgary. You can be in Drumheller by lunchtime, which gives you all afternoon for the Royal Tyrell Museum. The terrain around there is fascinating and totally different to anything in the Rockies. That's my vote!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
27,161 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help for late July - early August

Or Dinosaur Provincial Park, a UNESCO World Heritage site 2 hrs SE of Calgary (near Brooks) and the site of many fossil discoveries. It has the same unusual badlands topography as in Drumheller.

Sadly, it isn't practical to visit Drumheller and Dinosaur PP in one day, as they are 2 hours apart.

Canmore, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Help for late July - early August

Drive 1 hour from Lake Louise to Golden BC, try world-class white water rafting down the Kicking Horse river (see the reviews for Glacier Raft Company, Alpine Rafting, etc), the longer rafting trips are worth it because you'll experience more rapids. The drive is quite scenic too. Lodging in Golden should be easier to find if needed.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 08:42
Canmore, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Help for late July - early August

> any specific hikes/activities that are a must not miss.

My favs: Takakkaw falls, hike Lake Louise to Lake Agnes to Big Beehive, hike Johnston Canyon to upper falls (ink pots are too far w little scenery), hike Tunnel Mtn trail, guided+tethered climb Mount Norquay "Via Ferrata" (longer tour is much better), Banff gondola + nice meal up top, casual meal at Fairmont Banff Springs' "Lookout Patio" for great views+location. Bonus: Alpine Helicopters tour of Mount Assiniboine.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 09:27
Reply to: Itinerary Help for late July - early August
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Banff
Recent Conversations