We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what is the best way to see places from vancouver to calgary

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
what is the best way to see places from vancouver to calgary

we wont to go to whistler banff lake louise and on to calgary

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,711 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what is the best way to see places from vancouver to calgary

Welcome to TripAdvisor, Hopless! When are you planning to travel? Whistler is really at its best in the winter; in the summer, there is much more to see and do in the Canadian Rockies.

The folks on the British Columbia forums have compiled this article describing the main routes between Vancouver and Calgary; it should help you get started: tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g154922-c120076/Britis…

And I think you will also find this article on the "must sees" in the Canadian Rockies helpful:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g659487-c112507/Canad…

This article tallks about some of the popular things to do in Calgary:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154913-s410/Calgary:…

Please feel free to come back to this forum with further questions!

Mentioned in this post
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,838 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what is the best way to see places from vancouver to calgary

Welcome to the TripAdvisor forums!

If, by "the best way" you mean "the most convenient", get a rental car. This allows you to choose the route you want, go at your own pace, and stop to see what you want. It is possible to do this route by public transportation too, or there are many companies that offer multi-day coach tours that cover these places.

The route between Calgary and Vancouver via the Canadian Rocky Mountain parks and the Okanagan valley is a well-travelled and much discussed itinerary here, although because of the geographic scope of it, the information is scattered among many forums. I would suggest browsing recent posts in the following: Canadian Rockies, Alberta, Banff, Jasper, Whistler, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, British Columbia, Kamloops etc. (Also, if you access the forums at, say, the provincial level, you can see all the sub-forums beneath.)

The forum "search" function will bring up loads of useful information. (Look for it just above the list of messages). Also, the TA "Traveler Articles" and "Top Questions" have a lot of helpful info. Go to the TA page for whatever destination you need advice, then look on the left hand side of the page, and you'll see the Traveller Articles, starting with "More on ...", "Before you go", "Things to Do", etc. Top Questions for each destination are found in the top right corner.

Online maps can be very useful in laying out your itinerary - they have "directions" features which will give you mileage and driving times between stops. Try www.mapquest.com or www.maps.google.com .

Online resources that will be useful for the Rockies -

The Jasper and Banff/Lake Louise tourism offices:

www.jaspercanadianrockies.com

www.banfflakelouise.com

Parks Canada: www.pc.gc.ca - pick whichever park you want info for (Banff, Jasper, Yoho & Kootenay; once you are at the park's page, you'll see a menu down the left - choose "Visitor information"). Also, when you enter the park and pay your fee, you will be given an informative booklet that has information for all four parks.

Also, one of the main attractions in the area is the drive from Lake Louise to Jasper on a highway known as the Icefields Parkway - www.icefieldsparkway.ca . Although only about 225 km long, I usually recommend making a full day of it, stopping at the many scenic viewpoints, lakes, waterfalls along the way.

Hope this helps!

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Banff Rocky Mountain Resort
Banff Rocky Mountain...
1,067 Reviews
Banff, Canada
Okanagan Valley
Okanagan Valley
British Columbia, Canada
Alberta
Alberta
Canada
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Kamloops
Kamloops
British Columbia, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
80 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what is the best way to see places from vancouver to calgary

over night stay in jasper, than stop @ lake louise for hour or so and take pics and than to calgary

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
19,620 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what is the best way to see places from vancouver to calgary

Hopless, mate, sorry, but as a fellow coutryman I think I might be able to help you a bit in defining what your questions might, or should, be asking. But I am going to be a bit harsh, even though I appreciate that you are first time poster, but we all were once as well.

1. You do not mention the time of year of your intended visit.

2. You do not give any indication of how much time you have available for the trip you are planning.

3. You do not indicate what your interests might be.

If you provide more information on what you are looking at doing/seeing, and time frame, I am sure you will be provided with more detailed advice.

Oh, and dump Whistler off the list IMO.

Mentioned in this post
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
19,620 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what is the best way to see places from vancouver to calgary

"over night stay in jasper, than stop @ lake louise for hour or so and take pics and than to calgary"

Tell me you are joking. Terrible advice, but, admittedly, to a badly worded original post.

6. Re: what is the best way to see places from vancouver to calgary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2011, 13:16