We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should i stay within Banff Town or just outside?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Should i stay within Banff Town or just outside?

Hi,

Ill be in Banff i November with my boyfriend. Should we be looking for accomadation thats in the Town of Banff or outside of the town?

We are there to do the skiing etc

Ive read that there can be free travel in between the town and outside hotels but do these stop running at night...because we will be having dinner and spending time at pubs at night and dont want to be walking to far at night.

Thanks

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
27,093 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should i stay within Banff Town or just outside?

During ski season (Nov-May), there are ski shuttles to connect the hotels in the Banff townsite to the three major ski areas within the park. They are $15/day unless you get a package deal with skibig3.com which includes lift tickets and the ski shuttle. However, this service is trictly to and from the ski areas.

Within the town of Banff, you have the ROAM transit bus and a good supply of taxis. The town is fairly compact, so any taxi ride within the town limits won't be too expensive. Also, some hotels on the edge of the Banff townsite may run their own shuttles into the downtown. I believe that the luxury Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel and Rimrock Resort have their own shuttles because they're a bit distant from downtown. Some hotels provide you with a free pass for the ROAM transit bus upon check-in or upon request. However, ROAM does not go to hotels outside of the town limits but inside the park, such as the Juniper or Johnston Canyon Resort.

There is also the town of Canmore, which is just outside Banff National Park and about 15-20 minutes from the town of Banff. It's not very well set up for skiers without their own transport, however.

You may also find this TripAdvisor Traveller Article on skiing in Banff National Park to be helpful:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154910-c98937/Banff-…

Edited: 26 July 2010, 11:10
Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should i stay within Banff Town or just outside?

Hi there,

Finding accommodation in Banff is tricky to say the least. Will you already have a job before you arrive? The ski hills hire mostly in Oct. before they officially open.

I suggest that you do a LOT of research, and try to arrange for a job and/or staff accommodation prior to your arrival. Each and every winter we have Aussies, Kiwis and Brits alike arrive with high hopes, only to leave dejected after all the jobs and rooms for rent have been taken.

Not to say that it's not possible! Just make it easier on yourself. Check out this great link: banff.ca/work_in_banff/life_in_banff/accommo…

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
27,093 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should i stay within Banff Town or just outside?

If you are coming to work during the ski season, rather than to ski, then you'll want to have a look at this TripAdvisor Traveller Article, "Working and Playing in Banff":

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154911-c83179/Banff:…

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
3,213 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Should i stay within Banff Town or just outside?

Hi Caitlyn,

If you're telling us that you don't want to walk far and want to be close to the pubs, you'll want to stay in downtown Banff. The Banff Aspen Lodge is a nice central property, as is the Bow View Lodge. Even closer to the heart of all the action is the Mount Royal Hotel and the Brewsters Mountain Lodge. FYI - the ski season usually starts in Mid-November. As it's the beginning of the season, you'll usually find "early season conditions" at the ski hills.

Like anywhere in Europe or North America, the snow is just beginning to accumulate, so there's a good chance not all of the runs will be open.

banfflakelouise

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Should i stay within Banff Town or just outside?

Thanks for the advice. We are just there for 3 nights for a holiday not for work.

If we were to stay about 10 - 15 mins walk from the town of banff i(possibly Banff Caribou lodge) s it safe to walk at night time? Not risking a bear attack or anything? ha-ha...

What time do the buses usually stop? or are there other forms of avaible transport later in the night?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,569 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should i stay within Banff Town or just outside?

Bears will be hibernating, so no worries there. However, it is dark by about 5 pm and if you are out of town - I'm not sure if you can count on street lights to light the way if you want to walk. A taxi would be a good option if the bus is not running - you can check the schedule for "Roam" on the Town of Banff website: banff.ca/locals-residents/public-transit-bus…

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,807 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should i stay within Banff Town or just outside?

Banff Caribou Lodge is well within the town of Banff, not 10 to 15 minutes outside. I think perhaps you are confusing distance from the very centre of Banff (the intersection of Banff Avenue and Caribou Street) with distance from the town itself. In that case, Caribou Lodge is about a 10 minute walk from the intersection of Banff and Caribou. This walk is on a paved sidewalk, under street lights all the way.

Aussie
Level Contributor
55 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should i stay within Banff Town or just outside?

It's always fun for apre ski to be in a town with things going on. For that reason we prefer Banff rather than outside. Accommodations range from the 5 star Fairmont Banff Springs to Banff Lodging Co's properties including Fox Suites (in town) and Hidden Ridge Resort (crowded and a little out of town). Fairmont Banff Springs is a Scottish baronial castle and prices to match, while Fox Suites looked crowded with cars virtually on top of each other.

Good luck!

9. Re: Should i stay within Banff Town or just outside?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2011, 13:17