We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GyPSy tourguide,,yay or nay?

Downey, California
Level Contributor
21 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
GyPSy tourguide,,yay or nay?

SO next June I wll be spenidn 3 nights in banff, 2 nights in Jasper and 3 nights in Calgary. We will be flying into and leaving Canada via Calgary.

My first take was to take tours with a company like Brewster or whomever in all 3 cities. Then I started readling reviews about the GyPSy guide here on tripadvisor. I started thinking that perhpas I would not do the local tour guide thing and do it myself using one of these devices. That way and lake cruises in Banff or Japser,,,or any other type of things that are thrown in with the local tours could be done on my own time, not theirs . It would seem this device gives you your own personal type guide (except for you can't ask questions) and I would be able to use it the minute I left the airport until I returned.

Aside fomr the comments on tripadvosor, does anyone have input as to whether this is work the price or not.

Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GyPSy tourguide,,yay or nay?

The Gypsy is NOT a tour guide neither is it a gps-per-se (it does not tell you how to go from A to B but it uses gps co-ordinates to highlight interesting things in your driving vicinity) ... it is a self tour aid.

If you are driving and general do your self-tour, rent the Gypsy for 2 -3 days with pickup from Banff (2nd or 3rd day in your trip) and then drop it off in Jasper - with a $10 drop charge. For me I rent it for 2 days last July where my journey started in Calgary then Edmonton and then spending 2 nights in Banff (pickup the Gypsy in banff and then drop off in Jasper after 2 days) and then 1 night in Jasper before returning to Calgary for flight back. With the gypsy, we cover Banff Gondola/Sulphur mountain, Bow Lake, Tunnel Mountain, Lake Manniwanka, Johnson Canyon, Johnson Lake, Moraine Lake, Lake Louise, Peyto Lake, Columbia Icefield, Athabasca Fall, Jasper Tramway, Patricia Lake, Maligne Canyon. The gypsy tells you interesting facts along the road apporaching these places BUT it does not go beyond the road ... that is it does not provide you any comments on the sites itself while you are walking through it. It can also be repetitive a bit and go silent while driving between important site.

The gypsy suite me fine as I tend to do most of my trip as self-tours in places where auto rental abound and it is safe to drive as tourist ... like the flexibility to spend as less time in places I find not interesting and more in those that are interesting to me ... without having to follow a tour group agenda. I have my gps in all my travel and all interesting places pre-programmed ... including all hotels I am staying and the airport I start and end my vacation trip. (The gypsy is a commentary tour guide using gps co-cordinate ... it does not show map and driving direction).

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Jasper
Jasper
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Banff Gondola
Banff Gondola
7,261 Reviews
Banff, Canada
Sulphur Mountain
Sulphur Mountain
598 Reviews
Tunnel Mountain Resort
Tunnel Mountain Resort
1,210 Reviews
Banff, Canada
Moraine Lake
Moraine Lake
4,617 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
Maligne Canyon
Maligne Canyon
3,603 Reviews
Jasper, Canada
Downey, California
Level Contributor
21 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GyPSy tourguide,,yay or nay?

I guess I should quantify I am aware of the purpose of this device by reading thier webpage and various reviews. I do understand it stays in the car (unless someone steals it I suppose) and is not an actual GPS device.

So the second paragraph of the first response does explain that this does appear to be what I am looking for. I did want to break away from the organised tour and do things I want at my own pace.

I guess I quesiton how long should I keep it? I was planning on taking it from the airport and back. My first day will be driving to Banff and looking around . The second day would be to do some driving around Banff and perhaps doing the lake tour and the gondola. My third day was to drive to Lake Louise on the Icefield Parkway (Include Johnston canyon) then back to Banff. Fourth day day would be driving to Jasper and seeing all the sites EXCEPT for the Ice Centre. 5th day around Jasper (maybe a lake cruise) . 6th day drive back to Calgary and include Ice Center (I am not going on a glacier, did that in Alaska). 7th day use it for a Calgary tour, if it does that. 8th day it would be wasted as I want to go to Heritage Park. 9th day back to the airport and home.

SO does it seem with the above itnerary it would be good to kepp the entire time, or would I be wasting money.

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Johnston Canyon
Johnston Canyon
1,677 Reviews
Jasper
Jasper
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,976 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GyPSy tourguide,,yay or nay?

if you have a car the Gypsy would work well for you. My cousin just rented it and He knew the stories I talk about when doing a tour. Banff sightseeing tours tend to be expensive so the cost of the car rental and gypsy rental would be a nice savings for most people and you get to do things at your pace. I'd go for it.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
3,157 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: GyPSy tourguide,,yay or nay?

The GyPSy is fun, informative and easy to use device. I'd highly recommend it. You get to decide how long you want to rent it for. I'd probably pick it up when you get to Banff in the evening and drop it off a day early in downtown Calgary. The Calgary Tower is a place you'll be passing by if your visiting downtown Calgary. If the money doesn't matter, keep it for the whole time. I think it's only $15 a day after 7 days.

banfflakelouise

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Calgary Tower
Calgary Tower
2,832 Reviews
Calgary, Canada
Downey, California
Level Contributor
21 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GyPSy tourguide,,yay or nay?

I am 99% sure I will rent one. the next question is, are there things (If anyone knows) that it could tell us about between the Calgary airport and Banff during that 1.5 hour drive. My take was to pick the thing up at the airport for that reason but if there is just driving plan B would be to pick it up in Banff.

On the return I am going to alter my plans and do Heritage Park the 2nd day so I can turn this thing in at Calgary tower my first full day there. The only thing I see though is a 5 dollar (or 4.95 USD!) savings because I would have to pay to turn it in not where I rented it from.

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Banff
Banff
6. Re: GyPSy tourguide,,yay or nay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2011, 12:16