We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calgary to Edmonton

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
20 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Calgary to Edmonton

We will be staying in Calgary in July and doing side trips. I would like to take one day to drive to Edmonton and see the mall. What else is along the way or in Edmonton that would be good to see or do? Thanks for your help.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
82,729 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calgary to Edmonton

Hi Gypseycat;

Edmonton is approx. 185 miles from Calgary, a drive of about 3 hours, one-way.

6 hours of driving + time at the mall, doesn't leave much time for sightseeing.

Best Regards

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
25 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calgary to Edmonton

I live in Edmonton. "The Mall" is just a big shopping center with a waterpark, roller coaster and an ice rink. I would go shopping in Balzac and find a nice waterpark, etc. in Calgary. Six hours on a boring highway is not worth it, just for WEM. Believe me.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
27,161 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calgary to Edmonton

I have to agree with eak027, West Edmonton Mall really isn't a destination in itself. It's great to see if you're in or near Edmonton for other reasons, because it is interesting. But it is not a great entertainment destination like Disneyland or even an awesome shopping area; it's pretty much the same chain stores that you will find in Tampa. And like most malls, it's dominated by women's clothing. Any Canada-only chains found at WEM (The Bay, Roots, Paderno, Plum?) can also be found in Calgary. If your plan is for a day trip just to see WEM, that's too much driving for too little payoff.

And yes, the road is pretty boring. If you want to drive for 6 hours roundtrip, then I can think of much more interesting destinations that can be reached from Calgary. You could visit Writing-on-Stone Provincial Park, drive a loop to Drumheller (Royal Tyrrell Museum) and Dinosaur Provincial Park and back, or see Takkakaw Falls in Yoho National Park.

4. Re: Calgary to Edmonton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 May 2011, 02:56
Edited: 09 May 2011, 02:56
5. Re: Calgary to Edmonton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 May 2011, 03:05
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
25 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calgary to Edmonton

I don't want Gypseycat to think that Edmonton is not worth visiting. I agree that there is lots to see here. But a six hour drive - a Day Trip - just to come to the mall, makes little or no sense.

It is a shopping center, as Country Wife said, with many of the same stores you will find all over North America. A roller coaster, water park, and some dolphins is not worth the 6 hour (in one day) drive.

i agree that Europeans love the highway drive -- because of all the open space --- but unless you want coffee in Red Deer, there is not really much to DO along the way.

Go to Drumheller for the day!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calgary to Edmonton

We don't know Gypsey's full plans, and my point about the scenery is that what may be dull to you may not be to someone else.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Calgary to Edmonton

Sorry, I double posted, and tagged both posts, so they were both deleted.

Gypsey, if you're interested, shoot me an email.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
67,130 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Calgary to Edmonton

Gypseycat ~

In the words of my cousin who lived for many years in Sherwood Park just east of Edmonton, "It's just a road." They would drive south to Calgary to visit her parents.

Red Deer has some attractions: a Sports Hall of Fame and Waskasoo Park, with walking trails. Might be a nice place to stretch the legs.

Sylvan Lake near Red Deer is an oasis. You might find some water activities there.

http://www.sylvanlaketourism.com/home.htm

You can see the drive for yourself in 2min30sec:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpuaUBUoI1k

If you're up for a long day and you like flat landscapes and big Alberta sky, go for it.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Calgary to Edmonton

I think you indicated on your other post you'll have 4 or 5 days before and after the Stampede to see more of Alberta so you could always do the Calgary-Banff-Jasper-Edmonton route in order to visit the WEM. The drive to Edmonton from Jasper is almost 4 hrs though so you would be rushed.

Honestly, having lived in Edmonton, Red Deer and Calgary, all the opinions about the Mall itself are correct. Many more worthwhile things to see and do while on vacation rather than spending a day there......

Get answers to your questions about Edmonton