We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how many days do I need with a 2yr old?

ottawa
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
how many days do I need with a 2yr old?

wife and I are late 20's coming in May with a 2yr old, we are flying from Ottawa to calgary then driving up the parkway then to Edmonton.

Looking at the Things to do list thing things we are interested in are West Edmonton mall, Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village and Fort Edmonton Park. Is there anything special at the Space and Science Center and Galaxyland?

I'm thinking 3 days/2nights will be enough unless someone can suggest anymore places, probably arrive early morning then visit the park/village then spend the next 2 full days at the Mall/waterpark.

Mentioned in this post
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
West Edmonton Mall
West Edmonton Mall
3,786 Reviews
Edmonton, Canada
Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village
Ukrainian Cultural...
232 Reviews
Sherwood Park, Canada
Fort Edmonton Park
Fort Edmonton Park
1,623 Reviews
Edmonton, Canada
Galaxyland
Galaxyland
540 Reviews
Edmonton, Canada
Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how many days do I need with a 2yr old?

gui; before anyone else points you to it, I should. Please go and look through the Top Ten Questions in the top right of the Edmonton forum page.

If you already have, then I apologize. But, I know others here will likely say the same.

BTW, the items you mention in your second paragraph are all good places to check out.

Mentioned in this post
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Winnipeg
Level Contributor
653 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how many days do I need with a 2yr old?

You don't say when in May you are planning your trip. Are you aware that both the Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village and Fort Edmonton Park don't open until the May long weekend (May 19-21)? If you're looking for a neat place to stay, there is a hotel, Hotel Selkirk, right in Fort Edmonton Park. We found it very convenient this past summer. It would be perfect for travelling with a 2 year old. You would find it convenient also as you would have a room to go back to to rest during the course of the day. You are right on the grounds for opening in the morning and can stay right until closing. We spent the full day there as there was a lot to see and do (although we were travelling with a 9 year old). I'm not sure if the hotel is open that early in the season, so you'd have to investigate that aspect. The Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village is about a half hour drive east of Edmonton. I can't imagine why anyone would want to spend two whole days at West Edmonton Mall, but each to their own.

Mentioned in this post
Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village
Ukrainian Cultural...
232 Reviews
Sherwood Park, Canada
Fort Edmonton Park
Fort Edmonton Park
1,623 Reviews
Edmonton, Canada
Hotel Selkirk
Hotel Selkirk
85 Reviews
Edmonton, Canada
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
West Edmonton Mall
West Edmonton Mall
3,786 Reviews
Edmonton, Canada
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how many days do I need with a 2yr old?

If you're driving out to the Ukrainian Village, try to swing by Elk Island National Park as well. You can usually see a bison or two wandering around, especially in May. 2 year-olds love the section at Telus (space adnd science centre) where they can play in the water, build with big blocks, play a piano with their feet, etc. They can also play with sand and water in the Garden area. Depending what your child likes, the West EdWaterPark tends to be more appealing to little ones with a special section Spray Park, although I haven't seen it since it was redone a while back. There are also fun rides for children of all ages at Galaxyland.

Mentioned in this post
Elk Island National Park
Elk Island National Park
483 Reviews
Edmonton, Canada
Galaxyland
Galaxyland
540 Reviews
Edmonton, Canada
4. Re: how many days do I need with a 2yr old?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2013, 18:31