We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edmonton airport layover with dog

St. Catharines
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Edmonton airport layover with dog

Im trying to plan a month long trip to Grande Prairie to visit my boyfriend. I'm flying from southwestern Ontario and can either have a layover in Calgary or Edmonton. Is there somewhere to take my dog between flights to releive himself in Edmonton? How long should I leave between flights to give me time to do this? I've never flown with my dog so any other helpful info would be appreciated as well :)

Mentioned in this post
Grande Prairie
Grande Prairie
Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,273 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edmonton airport layover with dog

Is it a layover or a connection?

Is your dog a small one that is coming on board with you, or a large one that is being flown in a kennel in the baggage hold? If the latter (and assuming it's a connection, not a layover, because from your question, it doesn't sound like you will be leaving the airport), will you even have access to him? I'm assuming that, like other items in the baggage hold, he and his kennel would be transferred directly from the one flight to the other

Edited: 01 March 2012, 03:19
St. Catharines
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Edmonton airport layover with dog

Im trying to plan my trip so I'm not completely sure what my best option is. I will have my dog in the cabin with me. The flight I'd like to take has a connecting flight to Grande Prairie with less than an hour btwn flights and I don't think that is enough time to allow my dog to releive himself. I'm not familiar with the Edmonton airport so I'm not sure where I'd be able to take him for a potty break or how much time I should allot.

Mentioned in this post
Grande Prairie
Grande Prairie
Alberta, Canada
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,273 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edmonton airport layover with dog

Definitely not enough time, because you'd have to exit airside to get outside, and then go through security again. I had a quick look, including a search for "pets" on the YEG website but couldn't find any information, but maybe you'll want to check for yourself: http://flyeia.com/ Calgary airport also has a website, try googling "Calgary airport authority".

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Canada
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edmonton airport layover with dog

Calgary Airport website is yyc.com.

For Calgary: You will have to exit the airport terminal, have the dog relieve himself and then go back through security. Depending upon the time of day, going back through security could take a while!

If flying with an onboard pet, make sure that you verify space availability before you book (if booking online). AC limits pets in cabin to 3 or 4 (cannot remember) and WJ limits to 4 per flight. Book pet as soon as you book.

I have sent you a pm as well.

Edited: 01 March 2012, 04:51
Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
5. Re: Edmonton airport layover with dog

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 March 2012, 06:11
Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edmonton airport layover with dog

Since you got advice on Calgary airport and pets from krp, I'll provide similar advice for Edmonton.

I checked the Edmonton International Airport (YEG) website for dogs and pets and could find nothing provided for amenities for each. However, the following is the airport customer service web link:

flyeia.com/airport_guide/…customer_service

Please let us know if you get your situation resolved.

NOTE: I know that some airlines provide from "pet relief" or "pet stretches" during lay-overs when containers are being moved from one plane to another. I would check with the airline you eventually decide to use.

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
7. Re: Edmonton airport layover with dog

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2013, 17:34