We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Icefields Parkway (Hwy 93) CLOSED today

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,084 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Icefields Parkway (Hwy 93) CLOSED today

This is an unusually early weather-related closure; for full details, see:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154910-i220-k31440…

oregon
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Icefields Parkway (Hwy 93) CLOSED today

Hello Country Wife,

If you were me would you cancel your trip to the rockies starting next Saturday for the week? With the early cold season perhaps all that we have planned to do will not be possible. We could do this wonderful trip next September. I appreciate your help.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,084 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Icefields Parkway (Hwy 93) CLOSED today

That is *such* a tough call! Let me put it to you this way - right now is the Thanksgiving long weekend, and I was hoping to make a day trip out to Banff (or maybe even overnight) from here in Calgary. And because I'm familiar with the unpredictable weather here, I *still* haven't ruled it out!

We don't usually recommend driving the Icefields Parkway in October precisely because this sort of winter driving scenario is possible there. However, the roads between Calgary-Lake Louise-Banff and Jasper-Edmonton are quite different in several ways: they are lower in altitude, and they are very busy and get 24-hour road maintenance. The Icefields Parkway only receives road maintenance (plowing, sanding, etc.) in the daylight hours.

I think I'll let the folks in Jasper & Banff, who are year-round residents, give their perspective.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,084 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Icefields Parkway (Hwy 93) CLOSED today

I just double-checked the forecasts, and actually things are looking better than I thought for my day trip to Banff this weekend. Yes, the temperatures will be below freezing, but not too much, and the sun will be out. And for your trip starting next weekend, the long range forecast is even more encouraging, with above freezing temperatures predicted - for what that's worth, of course. I wouldn't rely too heavily on forecasts beyond 3 days.

This is a very beautiful time of year to see the mountains because the early dusting of snow makes them very photogenic. So, as long as you can "cowboy up" for the colder weather, I would say go!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,084 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Icefields Parkway (Hwy 93) CLOSED today

Just rechecked the road report, and the Icefields Parkway has apparently reopened now after being closed for almost 8 hours. However, the entire Icefields Parkway, from Lake Louise to Jasper, is still rated as being in poor driving condition: snow-covered, with icy sections, and snow and ice on the shoulders.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,437 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Icefields Parkway (Hwy 93) CLOSED today

I'm not actually at home in Jasper, so can't say what conditions are like (we're taking a road trip, currently in Idaho) but sudden cold, wintery weather is not unusual at this time of year - and can be replaced with warm sunny weather just as quickly. The Jasper townsite area does not normally get snow accumulating until into November, so based on past weather patterns, I'd say it is unlikely to stay around.

Hiking in the high country is normally pretty much done for the season by now, even when the weather is fine, so I assume your planned vacation was not for that purpose. Assuming the weather - and road conditions - improve, a sightseeing holiday will be fine and you will be treated to lovely snowy peaks. Just keep an eye on weather reports and road conditions if you are planning on driving the Icefield Parkway, or any other high elevation highway, like highway 1 through Roger's Pass etc.

oregon
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Icefields Parkway (Hwy 93) CLOSED today

GREAT KRP and COUNTRY WIFE - due to your responses we will continue with our plans to head north in a few days to take in the wonders of Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper - I have not been up there since I was a young teen. Thanks again for all of the help and I will be sure to post a short road trip review when we return home.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,307 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Icefields Parkway (Hwy 93) CLOSED today

Hi, I just got back. Left Jasper last thursday. When we started a storm was coming but luck of all luck we saw everything and it was gorgeous. A few day later it was colder and snowy. I totally agree with just go. The people in our group was from Ark and many had never seen much snow so they just loved the whole trip. If its terrible on the Pkwy spending more time in Banff or Lk Louise isn't so bad. I think a bad day in the rockies is always better than being almost anywhere else so go and enjoy.

8. Re: Icefields Parkway (Hwy 93) CLOSED today

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2010, 12:17