We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jasper in Late November

Sunderland, UK
1 post
Save Topic
Jasper in Late November

Myself and a friend are staying in Jasper for the last 4 days in November and was wondering if anyone could suggest what is best to see and do. I particularly like the outdoors, hiking etc. Also, what is there to do at night? I was hoping to go dog-sledding at some point but dont know what the snow conditions would be like as far as the weather is concerned.

Thanks

Lee

Edmonton
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jasper in Late November

There likely will be snow in late November. A beautiful place to go in winter is the Maligne Canyon, as it is ice covered, but, it is very slippery, so you would need good winter boots with ice cleats. I think some tours provide them.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,413 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jasper in Late November

I am not aware of any dog sledding in the Jasper area. In late November, in the townsite area there is not likely to be all that much snow - not enough for snow sports. At higher elevations, there will be more, but hard to say how much. Although Marmot Basin, Jasper's ski area, has opened in mid-November twice in the last five years, some years they don't open until almost Christmas, and sometimes even then, ski conditions are marginal.

I'm not sure if the canyon icewalk will be available yet. There are several tour companies that offer it, so enquire at the Information Centre.

The trails in the townsite area are walked on all winter, so they get packed down and are quite accessible. Higher trails will be snowy - snowshoe rentals are available in town (I know that Online Sport & Tackle has them), but ask at the Trail Office (in the Visitor InfoCentre) about where to go to avoid avalanche terrain.

Nightlife is busier on weekends, but even so, November is "off season" - the quietest month of the year, so don't expect much, especially if you visit during the week.

3. Re: Jasper in Late November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2010, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about Jasper