We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Jasper....what to see itinerary?

Sarasota
Level Contributor
349 posts
1 review
Save Topic
3 days in Jasper....what to see itinerary?

I will be in the CR from August 3 - August 11 2010.

Below is a description of part of the trip that I need some help with.

The days prior to this will be spent exploring Yoho.

I am driving up from LL to Jasper on the icefields pkwy on day 1.

What to see and do?

Will awaken in Jasper and want to set out hiking, day 2.

Which hike? (2-4 hour trail round trip)

Will awaken in Jasper for day 3.

Another hike or thing to see and do?

Will awaken in Jasper and head back to Banff on icefields pkwy.

Again, what to see and do?

If this was your trip, how would you spend the time?

Any suggestions will be helpful and my time is free so I will consider everything that you tell me.

Thanks.

Steve

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
438 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Jasper....what to see itinerary?

I'm in a time crunch at the moment -- but maybe this will help with some ideas.

We spent a week in Jasper late summer this year -- here's the link to my blog -- http://2totravel.blogspot.com/ -- click the Canadian Rockies 2009 link under "Our Adventures and Voyages" or go to the September archive for the posts from the trip that include photos.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,084 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Jasper....what to see itinerary?

Sorry for drifting a bit off topic, but what do you mean by "the CR", SarasotaPoolBoy?

For things to see on the Icefields Parkway, check out this TripAdvisor Traveler Article: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g659487-c74055/Canadi…

Sarasota
Level Contributor
349 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Jasper....what to see itinerary?

Sorry Country_Wife.

I thought I was being kool! CR, I thought was short for Canadian Rockies, by the locals. Once again caught thinking I knew too much!

Anyway, like I said, we will be spending 4 days in Field exploring Yoho and some of LL (I hope that is short for Lake Louise)

Then a trip up the icefields parkway for 3 nights in Jasper in a suite we rented.

Most of the trails seem to be miles from the town, so I was wondering the best way to attack the "sightseeing/hiking" situation.

We will take all day to get to Jasper from Field, but once in Jasper, what are the "must see" trails or hikes to take, and in an arrangement that we do not have to backtrack with the car over and over again...if that is possible.

From Jasper, we are going down the icefields pkwy for a 3 night stay in Banff.

Any help for the sights and hiking itinerary on the way to and from Jasper would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,437 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Jasper....what to see itinerary?

My favourite hikes in Jasper NP (that's "national park" ;-> ) are (in no particular order): Opal Hills (Maligne Lake), Wilcox Pass (Columbia Icefields), Cavell Meadows (Mt. Edith Cavell) and the Sulphur Skyline (MIette Hot Springs). You could do WIlcox Pass either way on your drive up the parkway (depending on weather?) and pick any two of the other three for your days in Jasper, and not be disappointed! The Sulphur Skyline is the toughest of them all - with 2300 feet of elevation gain in about 4.5 km (one way). The others are in the 1200 - 1600 foot range, and total distance approx. 8 - 10 km (that's 5 - 6 miles).

All of them are approx. a one hour drive to the trailhead from town - but the driving is very scenic, and there is a good chance of sighting wildlife on the way.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,231 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Jasper....what to see itinerary?

Mt Edith Cavell - JNP

On the way - Parker Ridge, Bow Lake & Bow Glacier Falls

6. Re: 3 days in Jasper....what to see itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2010, 00:27
Sarasota
Level Contributor
349 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days in Jasper....what to see itinerary?

Hi.

We too are on a budget, but considering the value of the pound vs. the dollar when compared to the Canadian Dollar, you should be all right.

Anyhow go to

www.stayinjasper.com/showinns.asp

This is where we found our "homestay" and maybe this will help you.

Good Luck

Steve

8. Re: 3 days in Jasper....what to see itinerary?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2010, 00:27
9. Re: 3 days in Jasper....what to see itinerary?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 12 July 2010, 12:16