We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need ice cleats in mid Nov?

Which Jasper hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
217 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
need ice cleats in mid Nov?

Hi!

Was wondering if anyone can help me. My daughter will be on a school trip this November and one of the activities involved is a hike from the Bridge 1 to Bridge 5 of the Maligne Canyon.

I am worried about the slippery conditions of the track and is considering ordering cleats online to slip over her track shoes.

Is it necessary for mid November? I understand it is early winter ? Will the track be snowed up and icy?

Also, how long is the track from Bridge 1 to Bridge 5?

How should she be dressed for the trek?

Thank you for any advice.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
24,960 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need ice cleats in mid Nov?

I can't really give you firm answers on your other questions, but you'll find some information on dressing for winter weather here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154910-c13644/Banff-…

Just scroll down to get to the winter section.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
217 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need ice cleats in mid Nov?

Thank you Countrywife for the quick reply. Will look at the link you provided for tips on packing.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: need ice cleats in mid Nov?

The hike is appr. 2,9 kilometer and takes about 1 hour. 2 Hours if you take some time for sightseeing and photo opportunities. It's not a particularly steep or difficult hike, so I wouldn't worry too much, assuming there will be experienced supervision at hand.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
16,929 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need ice cleats in mid Nov?

Ice cleats would be necessary if she was walking INSIDE the canyon, so I wouldn't worry about them for walking on the trail above the canyon. However, considering Jasper already has over 10 cm of snow, she may need something on her feet besides track shoes. Winter boots are not necessary, but hiking shoes/boots perhaps? Although perhaps if the kids are not properly equipped, they will do an alternate activity ? (This much snow in the valley is quite early this year.)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
217 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need ice cleats in mid Nov?

Thank you iquliq and krp for your replies and kind advice.

I'm sure the school has made arrangements for local guides to take them on the hike so they will be supervised.

I will look get her a good pair of shoes and get her to break it in before the trip.

She's so excited and looking forward to the trip. Long way from home and going to wintry Canada from tropicxal Singapore. I'm sure the girls will find alternate activities to amuse themselves.

Thanks again!

Parramatta...
Level Contributor
394 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: need ice cleats in mid Nov?

Clearly YKim I am not a local but I was in Jasper/Lake Louise/Banff 3 weeks ago.

As someone not use to ice & snow I found many of the trails slippery & icy. It was the first dump of snow which was fine on the first day but on the second & third day afterward (with people having compacted the snow & the temperature rising & melting the snow during the day - freezing it at night) the short (1hr) trails that we went on had lots of slippery patches. I was wearing normal 'sports' shoes or joggers and had to grip the rails in some places to stay upright.

I don't know whether or not this problem gets worse the further into winter one gets but if your daughter is doing a lot of walking along bush tracks, trails through the forrest etc then at a minimum she needs something with a decent sole which will give grip. On my trip I saw the 'seasoned' walker with their cleats & walking sticks - suddenly it all made sense.

She'll have a fabulous time...

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
217 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: need ice cleats in mid Nov?

Thanks, mstrail for your information.

I was doing a search on the internet on the places she will be visiting this school trip when I came across this youtube video of some vacationers having difficulty keeping their balance on the packed snow and ice.

That got me worried because my daughter has an old injury to her ankle and it's still givng her trouble now and then so I don't want her to risk spraining it again.

Anyway, am glad to say that I have managed to get hold of some ice cleats.Got my hubby to get it from USA for her. Luckily he happened to be there. Its small enough to pack into her backpack and I will get her to use it if the trail is too slippery.

Yeah, I'm sure she'll have a fabulous time!

Bozeman
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: need ice cleats in mid Nov?

I live in Bozeman Montana and run trails every day in icy/snow just about everything. I use these www.spiky.com they are pull over ice cleats. I have been using them for years.

South Wales
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: need ice cleats in mid Nov?

If you are in the UK, and are seeking the ice grips I suggest you try www.blacktoe.co.uk they have a complete range and offer great service. I bought some last year when the ice got bad, ansd will be buying as gifts for friends this year.

10. Re: need ice cleats in mid Nov?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2010, 13:15