We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice hotels in Jasper - close to train station?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Nice hotels in Jasper - close to train station?

Hi all,

I know that there has been an earlier post on this topic, however the one I saw was 5 years old, so I thought I would put it out there again....

We will be in Banff for about a week in late Feb and plan to take the "Canadian" train from Jasper to Vancouver. Can anyone recommend a nice place to stay for 1 night in Jasper? I would prefer to be near the train station (but not necessarily right on top of it). Also, we are travelling with 2 small children, so somewhere where they can get a good nights sleep would also be good (read: not above loud bars etc...)

Also, I have heard that there are some wonderful dog sled tours that you can take - can anyone recommend the people to go with for this?

Lastly (I promise) I am a bit confused about the whole park fee thing... I get (and support) that the fee is paid to the national parks for maintance and upkeep, however, I am not sure how it is all supposed to work - the transfer company we are thinking of using, (Sundog tours?.) said that this fee was included in their fee, but I have also read that it is only the entry fee, and that if we are planning to stay (obviously) we have to get another pass on top of this. Does this park fee for Banff also cover Jasper? Help!!!!

(Actually any ideas about tras from Calgary - Banff - Jasper would also be appreciated...)

Thanks in advance!

Perthtwinmum

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,287 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice hotels in Jasper - close to train station?

Jasper is a very small town. Most of the hotels are a few blocks from the train station. The furthest is still only a 5 minute cab ride to the train station. I normally stay at the Marmot or Sawridge. Marmot has a closer property to downtown but haven't stayed there.. The Whistler Inn is across from the train station but it is over a bar and I've stayed there. With small kids I think another property would be better as most have pools etc and better for kids tha being upstairs.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,413 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice hotels in Jasper - close to train station?

The hotels that are closest to the train station are The Whistlers Inn, Astoria Hotel, Athabasca Hotel and the Park Place Inn. They, along with other Jasper hotels, are listed at the Jasper Tourism website: www.jaspercanadianrockies.com . These are also near where the four busiest pubs/bars are. The AthaB nightclub is located in its namesake hotel; the De'd Dog pub is in the Astoria Hotel, the Whistle Stop Pub is in the Whistlers Inn (right across the street from the train station), and Pete's Club is across from the Park Place Inn. However, each of these hotels has rooms in quieter areas (not as close to, or facing away from, the pub - for instance, at the Park Place Inn, the rooms that face the alley, rather than the street, would not have pub noise.) There are two other motel areas at either end of town, but if you want to be in walking distance (with 2 small kids) to downtown shops and restaurants, these would be your best bet. I'd suggest browsing the hotel websites and reading reviews here on TripAdvisor to see which you might prefer. The PP Inn markets itself as a "boutique" hotel, the Astoria has small rooms - I know most of them can't accommodate more than two guests, but there may be a larger family-size room.

There are also private home accommodations that are very centrally-located and close to the station although All Seasons Accommodation and A Little Log House Accommodation are the only ones I can think of that can accommodate four guests - you can find them, and others, listed at www.stayinjasper.com . Jober's Cottage, too, is only a short walk. If you are coming on a weekend though, these might have two night minimums.

While the park fee is a "user fee", it seems to be more of a vehicle fee. The permit is displayed on your windshield, and covers all occupants of the car. All the enforcement revolves around checking for the permit on cars. If you don't have a vehicle, you will pay a fee as part of your transfer into, or between the parks.

Hope this helps!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice hotels in Jasper - close to train station?

Thanks Krp.

I will check out the sites you listed, but if I can just clarify one thing (am a bit fuzzy at the mo as have been up for the past 2 days & nights with a sick child....) When I pay the fee to go to Banff thru the transfer company it will be per person - that part is OK.... but what about when we go to Jasper - do I need to pay another fee? And what about to and from the snowfields - am not too sure of the geography of the area so don't really know what constitutes the boundary of Banff's national park...

Typing through my sleep deprived haze I am hoping that this has all made sense... ;)

Thanks again.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,538 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice hotels in Jasper - close to train station?

G'day PerthTwinmum,

I hope you have been able to get some sleep, mate. Gees, sleep deprived at about 4:40 pm your time is serious.

The fee charged will cover both Banff and Jasper NP's. You will not get turned back at the boundary, which is the watershed near the Columbia Icefield. The parks are interlocked, without any ranger stations between them and, as krp said, it is more of a vehicle user fee for all parks.

Sundog will not dump you off on the top of the range. :)

Now, get some bl**dy sleep, and don't worry, but please come back with any further questions.

Oh, and as said, Jasper is a quite small, and lovely, town. The advice from krp is great as usual.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,538 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice hotels in Jasper - close to train station?

A late though, have a look at this site for what the Icefields Parkway between Lake Louise and Jasper is about. While it will look a lot different when you are there, we found it to be an absolutely marvellous drive in June last year.

http://www.icefieldsparkway.ca/

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,413 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice hotels in Jasper - close to train station?

When you buy your tickets for the Sundog bus from Banff to Jasper, it will include the park fee for driving up the Icefields Parkway.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the snowfields" - at first, I thought you were referring to ski resort (?) but I see you are only overnighting in Jasper before catching the train. IF you were skiing here and driving a car to the ski resort, there is a Parks Canada kiosk on the roadway on the way to the ski resort where you would pay the park fee. If you were taking a shuttle bus, you would not have to pay a fee (it may be included in the ticket price, I don't know). In the Banff area, if you drive a car from town to any of the ski resorts, you don't have to pass any kiosks, but it is possible that Parks staff will check cars in the parking lots for the park pass; otherwise, if you take a shuttle bus, you don't have to worry about it.

I hope this has answered your questions - please let us know if you have more. The parks fee is very confusing, mainly I think because it sounds like it's an entry fee for people but it seems to mainly apply to cars. Don't worry - you will never ever be stopped while walking down the sidewalk and be asked to produce your park pass!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,479 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice hotels in Jasper - close to train station?

"Snowfields" is Aussie speak for "ski slopes" :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice hotels in Jasper - close to train station?

Ooops, sorry.... It is aussie speak for ski slopes... at least MY aussie speak...

We weren't thinking of hirning a car in Banff, mainly because you don't see that much snow in Perth... more of a desert kind of area.... so I was a bit nervous about the driving conditions... Had thought to get the transfer from Calgary, stay in Banff for the week -with some organised lessons re skiing etc... - assuming that we would be able to get to the ski runs through them...( am waiting to hear from the snow school place in Banff though)

Was then looking at making our way to Jasper the day before we get on the train for Vancouver. Not really planning to do much skiing around Jasper - more of a flying visit.... we are off to Anchorage so will have our fair share of skiing both before and afterwards.

Thanks Frommy - finally got some sleep last night.... the joys of parenthood huh? Wouldn't have it any other way though!!! :)

Will have a closer look at all of the blogs later, had better run now.

Cheers,

Perth.

B.C.
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice hotels in Jasper - close to train station?

In essence...

No car...no charge.

With Sundog...et al..they pay...it's included in your fare.

Re: Sled Dog Tours: There are no tours within the park. They advertise there, but they travel at least 120 km west to the Valemount/Tete Jaune area for the tour. Info here....

http://www.dogsleddinginjasper.com/

I see Sundog also offers the same package, with the same company.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,070 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice hotels in Jasper - close to train station?

There are dog sled tours in Banff National Park; they are offered by Kingmik, which operates out of Lake Louise:

www.kingmikdogsledtours.com/lake_louise.php

Just east of Banff National Park's boundaries, Howling Dog and Snowy Owl operate out of Canmore:

http://howlingdogtours.com/

www.snowyowltours.com

Get answers to your questions about Jasper