We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian Rockies Aug 2010 Vacation

St Louis
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Canadian Rockies Aug 2010 Vacation

I am hoping I could get some helpful advice on our upcoming Canadian Rockies vacation we have planned for Aug 2010. We are from the Midwest and will be driving to Canada as a family which includes myself, my wife and three teenage daughters. We are planning upon entering Canada south of Regina and traveling through Saskatchewan as we make our way to Jasper. We are planning on spending at least one night betweeen Regina and Jasper on are way up. Once we arrive in Jasper we plan on staying nine nights between Jasper and Banff. I an hoping to stay at Alpine Village in Jasper and Fox Suites in Banff. I am planning on spending 4 nights in one location and the other 5 nights in the other location (Banff or Jasper). I am open to any suggestions or ideas as whether we are staying too long or whether we should visit other locations nearby. I really don't want to travel much further since this trip will be over 2000 miles each way but I will appreciate any suggestions. I am letting my wife aand daughters fly home from Denver to save them 1000 miles and a solid day of driving on our way back home. Thank you in advance.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,037 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadian Rockies Aug 2010 Vacation

There is plenty to see and do in Banff and Jasper - you will have no trouble filling nine days, whether in one, or both.

While you are in Jasper, I would suggest a day trip into British Columbia to see Mt. Robson, the highest peak in the Cdn. Rockies. It's a one hour - and very scenic - drive west of the town of Jasper.

As for further information and ideas of what to do/see - I would suggest some research, both here on TA, and on other sites. The TA "Traveler Articles" and "Top Questions" have a lot of helpful info. Go to the TA page for whatever destination you need advice, then look on the left hand side of the page, and you'll see the Traveller Articles, starting with "More on ...", "Before you go", "Things to Do", etc. Top Question are found in the top right corner.

Online maps can be very useful in laying out your itinerary - they have "directions" features which will give you mileage and driving times between stops. Try www.mapquest.com or www.maps.google.com .

Online resources that will be useful for the Rockies -

The Jasper and Banff/Lake Louise tourism offices:

www.jaspercanadianrockies.com

www.banfflakelouise.com

Parks Canada: www.pc.gc.ca - pick whichever park you want info for (Banff, Jasper, Yoho & Kootenay; once you are at the park's page, you'll see a menu down the left - choose "Visitor information"). Also, when you enter the park and pay your fee, you will be given an informative booklet that has information for all four parks.

Also, one of the main attractions in the area is the drive from Lake Louise to Jasper on a highway known as the Icefields Parkway - www.icefieldsparkway.ca . Although only about 225 km long, I usually recommend making a full day of it, stopping at the many scenic viewpoints, lakes, waterfalls along the way. There are plenty of picnic sites along the way too.

Once you've had a look at some of that, please do come back with your questions. Further information about you and your family, and what your interests are would be helpful.

Also - it might be closer to drive from the U.S. to Banff - and then up the Icefields Parkway to Jasper (and then backtrack to Banff). The Icefields Parkway is absolutely spectacular and definitely worth driving more than once. I don't know how this would affect your overall distance, but the driving up through Saskatchewan and Alberta to Jasper is probably not going to excite your passengers... unless the stop you were planning is, perhaps, West Edmonton Mall?

Edmonton, Alberta...
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadian Rockies Aug 2010 Vacation

How long to stay depends on what your interest is. There are a lot of outdoor activities in Banff and Jasper. The backcountry is absolutely beautiful and I could suggest some great hikes/canoe trips/adventure activities. But if you're not into the outdoor adventure then there is much less to do.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadian Rockies Aug 2010 Vacation

I totally agree a daytrip to Mount Robson would be just great. There's a visitor center with lots of info as well as some great easy hiking trails that you can take to Berg Lake at the base of the mountain & have a picnic. The scenery is spectacular if you get a clear day.

Also in the area(less than 10 miles further west)is access to the Fraser River's Overlander Falls. This is the last falls that the salmon can get over(there's another a little further up river that they cannot navigate over because it's too high)& if you hit it right(which it looks like you are)you'll see a great show of the salmon run. It's definitely worth seeing.

The DW & I stayed @ the Mountain River Lodge B&B( www.mtrobson.com ) during our stay here then moved on to the Alpine Village which is also very rustic but nice. You've made a good choice in accomadations there. It's right on the river with great views & is a nice place to relax.

I did a review of the Patricia Street Deli(in the restaurant section of this forum)that included a great way to spend an evening along the river @ Alpine Village if you're interested. If that didn't pique your interest to look it up it involves wine.

There's so much to see & do you won't be bored.

Good luck & have fun.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,037 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadian Rockies Aug 2010 Vacation

Perhaps Keith is thinking of the Kinney Lake hike, on the Berg Lake trail? It's an easy hike, 4.5 km one way, with only 500 feet of elevation gain. (9 km round trip would be about 5 1/2 miles) It goes through a type of forest that is unusual for the area, which is created because Mt. Robson is so high that it creates a micro-climate area around it - there are some really large cedars etc. Berg Lake is about 21 kilometres from the trailhead, with over 1000 m of elevation gain (not so easy... but yes, VERY scenic). Some people do hike Berg Lake as a day trip - or, I should say, they hike *from* Berg Lake (down) - twice weekly, there is a helicopter that goes in to Robson Pass, and you can get dropped off to hike out the 23 or so km.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadian Rockies Aug 2010 Vacation

You are correct krp329. It's well worth the time to hike to Kinney Lake IMO.

6. Re: Canadian Rockies Aug 2010 Vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2010, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about Jasper