We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodations in or near Jasper

Greensboro, NC
3 posts
Save Topic
Accommodations in or near Jasper

We have four couples who are planning travel in Banff, Jasper, and Lake Louise next June. We will have two vehicles, so will be fairly mobile. For the two nights we plan to spend in Jasper, it is not clear to me from the available information just what accommodations offer the best combination of quality and value. On the one hand, we are a tad spoiled and so would like a nice venue. On the other hand, we don't plan to spend much time in our rooms. We do like good views, but we also enjoy the activity of towns. What to do? Initially we thought maybe the Coast Pyramid Lake Resort looked like a good choice, but it has very mixed reviews in different places. The Sawridge Inn and Conference Center also looks like a possibility, but I'm unsure of its setting. Any advice, as between these two or as to another choice, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,426 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodations in or near Jasper

The Sawridge is located at the east end of Jasper townsite, the very first hotel you see as you come into town off the highway, among a group of hotels/motels and next door to a gas station & restaurant. It's a rather uninspiring location. It is tucked up against Pyramid Bench, the hill behind town, so no views in that direction, and I imagine views are limited in most other directions as well. Rooms on the southwest side of the building, facing the outside (not the courtyard) would have views down the south valley, Mt. Edith Cavell etc. The views in that direction as you walk toward downtown (about 15 or 20 minutes from the hotel) are great!

You could probably look it up in satellite view on google maps or similar to see what the area is like.

It is one of the newer hotels in town (built about 1982) but I would not choose it for views or setting (and maybe not quality or value either - although I have never stayed there, I have seen rooms and they are standard, average hotel rooms, so I guess it comes down to what the rates are like when you are coming.).

For setting, you might want to consider Alpine Village or Patricia Lake Bungalows, both of which seem to get consistently good reviews here on TA. However, Alpine Village may have a 3 night minimum (yes, they are apparently that popular).

Hope this helps. Do post again if you have more questions; I am happy to answer. As a resident, I can give detailed information along these lines.

Greensboro, NC
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodations in or near Jasper

Hi krp329--this is very helpful info--thanks very much. It's very difficult evaluating these things from afar. So I'm taking Sawridge off the list and will look at the others you have suggested--but what do you think about Coast Pyramid? That was the first suggestion of a member of our group. It looks nice on the web site, but it has a number of negative reviews in various places. Any personal experience with it? Good views there? Know anything about its owners or recent changes? Is the restaurant open, or would we want to avoid it in favor of in-town restaurants in any event? Thanks again, and Happy New Year!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,426 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodations in or near Jasper

Hi again,

I have no experience with the Pyramid Lake Bungalows and have not seen their rooms. It used to be locally owned, but is now part of a large chain of hotels. The property is located just across the road from Pyramid Lake and rooms facing out over the lake would have nice views. I have eaten in their restaurant, although a few years ago now - it was nice, but pricey. The property is located about 10 km from town, along a somewhat slow and winding road (the road ends just past the hotel - it doesn't go anywhere else.). You have a good chance of spotting wildlife along the road - elk, deer, coyotes, maybe even a bear. I would not recommend it if you are looking for dining and nightlife options, however, if, at the end of your day of touring, hiking etc., you just want to go to your hotel and settle in, maybe sit out on the dock and watch the sunset (which is very late in June), then it may be just what you are looking for. Staying there, you would also be within walking distance of Pyramid Island, so you could stroll over there early or late in the day and have it all to yourself. There are canoe rentals available on the lake, and several hiking trails nearby.

Greensboro, NC
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodations in or near Jasper

Thanks again for your help--we will go for the Pyramid Lake option and plan to sip Margaritas on the dock until the sun sets.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,426 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodations in or near Jasper

Be sure to sip your margaritas discreetly - it's against the law to imbibe alcoholic beverages in non-licensed public areas in Canada. ;-)

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,079 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodations in or near Jasper

I was thinking a discreet rum & Coke might be a better choice :)

Edmonton
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodations in or near Jasper

Another nice choice is Becker's Chalets. It is not in town, but the townsite is small in any event. Or Patricia Lake Bungalows, which I prefer to Pyramid Lake because it is quieter.

Jasper - Alberta
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodations in or near Jasper

Hello - I am the sales and marketing manager for the Sawridge Inn Jasper. It always somewhat amazes me as to how some folks can provide "in depth recommendations" on places they have never experienced and/or stayed at. I will merely point out to you that our property is in number 2 position on Travel Advisor as it relates to guest satisfaction - as rated by folks whom have stayed with us prior. If you are indeed looking for a very scenic location, Beckers Chalets, Coast Pyramid Lake and Alpine Village all offer amazing views, although not all cabins will provide such views. We, at the Sawridge Inn Jasper, offer the only "4 star" rated accommodations within the Jasper townsite area, and the amenities and services offered are reflective of that. The Mountain Wellness Spa, located within the hotel, is a great option for relaxation after a full day outdoors.

I will recommend that you give us a call, as we would be delighted to discuss our services and facilities with you so that you can make a fully informed decision. Simply call toll free at 1-800-661-6427. I hope you will enjoy your stay in beautiful Jasper. Thank you.

Guelph, Ontario
Level Contributor
8 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodations in or near Jasper

i am surprised at the managers review of their own place - i have stayed there and the rooms were very tiny and food in the restaurant lacking in favour and certaining would not recommend it to my friends. But to be honest I am finding that most resorts towns that cater to tourists do not give a dam because they know they will not be back tomorrow. it is a pity - charge lots, we expect lots and are often disappointed. They got a gold mine but they do not seem to care.

Not only this hotel but several hotels and resturants in popular resort towns.

Why?

10. Re: Accommodations in or near Jasper

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2010, 13:20
Get answers to your questions about Jasper