We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prince George to Jasper.....

Cornwall, UK
Level Contributor
39 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Prince George to Jasper.....

After my last post yesterday, and as always, fantastic results, I now need to plan next stage of trip. Leaving Barkerville, via Prince George to Jasper. We intend driving this in one go and stop for a meal around half way.

Suggestions please, as to the best places to stop on the way. Is this route very scenic as well? Should we allow a lot of extra time for stopping and admiring the view?

Thanks once again all suggestiona and views very welcome.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,439 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prince George to Jasper.....

I have never driven the Barkerville to PG stretch, and have taken the train several times between PG and Jasper (the tracks run near the highway). There isn't much between PG and McBride (have a look on google maps - most of it is high resolution and you can see it's all just forest, and cut blocks - no settlement), nor between McB and Jasper (although there is farming in the Robson valley, and a few villages, like Dunster, Tete Jaune - which is pronounced "Tijon" in these parts). Mt. Robson, the highest peak in the Canadian Rockies, which is one hour's drive west of the town of Jasper, is worth a stop, and there are also a couple of sets of waterfalls in Mt. Robson Provincial Park that are nice - Overlander and Rearguard Falls.

Google maps puts the day's drive at just under 7 hours, and there is also a one hour time change at the BC/Alberta border (Alberta is one hour later), so that makes it about eight hours. PG to Jasper is about four hours. I'd suggest stopping for lunch in PG - or picking up picnic supplies.

In June, daylight hours are long (approx. 4 am until almost 11 pm). Just watch out for moose, especially early and late in the day - there are bazillions of them between PG and McB.

Cornwall, UK
Level Contributor
39 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prince George to Jasper.....

Thank you - we'll certainly be looking out for the moose- don't much fancy getting a close encounter of them ! I think we might take the picnic option - that way we can stop and enjoy the surroundings. Thanks again for your help

3. Re: Prince George to Jasper.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2010, 12:18