We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV campsite accessible to Ski area

Nottingham, England
4 posts
Save Topic
RV campsite accessible to Ski area

We are planning to be in the Jasper area in april and wondered if anyone might know of an RV campsite that is near to the main ski area?

Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
27,079 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RV campsite accessible to Ski area

It's Hobson's choice, I'm afraid. The only RV campground in Jasper National Park which is open at that time is Wapiti, located 5.4 km south of the Jasper townsite:

pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/jasper/visit/visit19_e.asp

I'm not sure how close that is to Marmot Basin.

Mentioned in this post
Jasper National Park
Jasper National Park
Canadian Rockies, Canada
Wapiti Campground
Wapiti Campground
128 Reviews
Jasper, Canada
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Marmot Lodge
Marmot Lodge
1,049 Reviews
Jasper, Canada
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,542 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RV campsite accessible to Ski area

The one campsite open in the winter in Jasper National Park near town is Wapiti winter campground. It is located on highway 93, the Icefields Parkway, five kilometres south of town and the intersection with highway 16. It is about a 25 to 30 minute drive from the campground to Marmot Basin ski area. It has 40 sites with power only, and 53 more unserviced sites.

The Jasper National Park camping page is here: pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/jasper/visit/visit19_e.asp .... and although it hasn't yet been updated for 2010, the names, locations, and amenities of the campgrounds do not change, and the opening/closing dates are similar (only changing by a day or two) every year.

Mentioned in this post
Jasper National Park
Jasper National Park
Canadian Rockies, Canada
Wapiti Campground
Wapiti Campground
128 Reviews
Jasper, Canada
Marmot Basin Ski Area
Marmot Basin Ski Area
443 Reviews
Jasper, Canada
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RV campsite accessible to Ski area

Hi The-Lathams,

Just because ONE CAN, doesn't always mean ONE SHOULD...

The weather in The Rockies is far from ideal at that time of year... although the Spring Melt typically starts then (after Spring Equinox) it is far from warm.

Daytime Highs may yes reach up to 50 F or so, BUT Nightime Lows can be well belowing Freezing (way too chilly for most people to camp... and hence why the Campgrounds round these parts aren't truly open as of then).

For example the 2009 Stats for the whole month of April were an average of 9 C (48 F) in the Daytime, and an average of -4 C (25 F) at night... and the lowest recorded temp for the month of April was -12 C (10 F).

So ya might want to also have a back-up plan...

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,542 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RV campsite accessible to Ski area

Actually, it's not keeping yourself warm in the chilly night-times that is really the issue - a good sleeping bag and warm winter clothing will take care of that (plus RVs have a furnace in them). I think the real issue is water lines and freezing. I am not an experienced RV'er but would imagine that in April, it may be too early to use the water in one, so the RV would be like a rolling tent on wheels. With fuel costs for driving one, it might be cheaper to rent a car and stay in hotels - ski season rates are much cheaper than summer.

Also, the Lathams might want to know that Marmot Basin ski area usually closes for the season after the third weekend in April.

Mentioned in this post
Marmot Basin Ski Area
Marmot Basin Ski Area
443 Reviews
Jasper, Canada
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RV campsite accessible to Ski area

TO KRP329,

Agree being bundled up certainly helps when sleeping... but otherwise it isn't that much fun in an RV in the mountains at that time of year... like you say lots of "fluids" issues.

And as someone who has been an avid camper & cottager all my life... going below Zero is never fun (nor over 35 C in the middle of summertime)... RVs and such, although having a Heater (and some even have AC) they don't maintain temperatures very well because they have very poor insulation (another reason the pipes freeze).

I was thinking more of a frozen tin can on wheels when I originally posted my comments, but a "rolling tent" might actually be closer to the truth.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,103 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RV campsite accessible to Ski area

Yikes. I have a brother that makes a good living repairing the all the water related stuff that freezes in an RV when the temps drop. Also, you really don't want to drive one of these in wnter road conditions on mountain roads.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
27,079 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RV campsite accessible to Ski area

Well, winter camping in an RV isn't not insane, but it can be uncomfortable; the weather definitely needs to cooperate so you have good winter driving conditions, but the odds aren't too bad in April. Although the RV's furnace will keep you warm, you need to have double-glazed windows (available, but a real pain in the summer) and good ventilation to keep condensation from building up on the inside of the windows. You can't use your water systems (which should be kept winterized), but you can use the toilet by flushing it with plumber's antifreeze (non-toxic, and kept in jugs by the toilet) instead of water. Of course, once your black water tank is full, you'll need to find a sani-dump facility that is open year-round. (Banff has one on Tunnel Mountain.)

Although it's been a few years now since I winter camped in my RV, I believe the main problems were keeping the propane tanks full and the battery charged so that the furnace would keep working.

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
8. Re: RV campsite accessible to Ski area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2010, 14:18