We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chilliwack - Lodges

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Chilliwack - Lodges

We are looking to stay at River Bend Lodge as part of a fishing trip in October 2008, doing salmon finshing on the Fraser River and the Vedder River in October 2008.

Is anyone able to advise whether the fishing is good, and what the River Bend Lodge is like?

Thank you

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,852 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Chilliwack - Lodges

I know the area and where that house is-it's in no way a 'lodge' as most Canadians would define it-it's a B&B in the suburbs.

That being said it's well located to access the Chilliwack/Vedder River system which itself is no wilderness experience.

There are a fair amount of Chum Salmon in the river in October and that's what most people target-and there are a staggering amount of people fishing there-elbow to elbow for miles and miles.

One thing-there is absolutely no need for a guide on the C/V system if you can cast you have an equal chance of catching something don't pay anyone a nickel to fish that scrum.

Try www.fishingwithrod.com for all kinds of local info and a lively fishing forum with all kinds of enthusiastic posters who love fishing that place.

The guiding outfit that the B&B uses isn't the best there are many many better run/better equipped outfits that guide the Fraser I can suggest www.greatriverfishing.com

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chilliwack - Lodges

Thanks for the reply and all the useful information. We are really looking for the wilderness type experience and definitely do not want to be shoulder to shoulder with other fishermen. I have had a look at the website you suggested and requested some information, can you recommend any other areas/companies that could help with the type of trip we want?

Many thanks

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,852 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Chilliwack - Lodges

If you want wilderness then you'll have to head north to the Terrace area-but October is winter there so it can be quite cold and most runs are finished.

For info on that area see www.noelgyger.ca

Another option near Vancouver is fishing the Pitt River system http://www.pittriverlodge.com/

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chilliwack - Lodges

Thanks once again for the useful information. The Pitt river system looks stunning and I have requested information from the company you recommended. We are very open to where we go and when its more the experience we are interested in so if you think of any other companies you could recommend I am very grateful. Thanks again

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,852 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Chilliwack - Lodges

Definitely consider a few days fishing for Sturgeon in the Fraser.

Yes it's coarse fishing but they are huge tough very game brutes, plentiful and in their own way quite beautiful.

It's a 100& C&R fishery that's managed quite well.

There are other rivers in the Fraser valley drainage, the Chehalis which is more of a spate river so it's quite hit and miss and the Harrison which throngs with jet boat traffic and whose banks are often lined with anglers.

Some Fraser Valley River shots.

…photobucket.com/albums/…080114-01.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…080114-02.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…080114-03.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…080114-04.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…080114-05.jpg

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chilliwack - Lodges

Thanks for the pictures, they scare the living daylights out off me!! This is exactly the sort of fishing I am really keen to avoid, I would much rather catch a couple of small fishing in stunning surroundings with no-one else there!

I am investigating some fishing on the Skeena River and the Pitt River which both look like the sort of sport I am after. I would be very keen to hear any thoughts you have on these regions?

Thanks again all the information you have given has been much appreciated!

Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
563 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Chilliwack - Lodges

Hi SammieJo1,

The Riverbend lodge is owned by a couple that we know very well. Nice people and their place is nice. We live up the road from them. The area here for fishing is very beautiful. We have a short walk from our backyard to the river where we walk our dogs everyday. Yes, it can get alot of fishermen, but it is quite spacious so you are not elbow to elbow with other fishermen.

Did you check out their websight? It is their home and they have, I think 3 bedrooms downstairs and a common eating area. Fishing is great here and wherever you go, you will be lucky.

Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
563 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Chilliwack - Lodges

Hi SammiJo1,

Just wanted to let you know that it is quite wilderness out here. We have deer, eagles osprey, bears, coyotes. We hear them at night but haven't encountered them on our walks, same with the bears, they have been on our property but never encountered them either on our walks.

9. Re: Chilliwack - Lodges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 22:20
Get answers to your questions about Chilliwack