We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Victoria from YCD

perth
Level Contributor
63 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to Victoria from YCD

I have looked at the forum and picked up valuable info, but I cant find the answer to my problem ,so I was hoping one of the local experts could help.

I am flying into Nanaimo Airport and hiring a car with National. After a visit to Tofino I will drop off at the airport.

How do I get to Victoria? Other than an expensive taxi to Ferry terminal, what else?

Greyhound indicate they have a bus stop at the Airport but it is not in their online schedule. I have sent them several emails over the last week and have received no response. I have called them and have not been able to get past the talking computer.

Also if I have to go to the Terminal bus depot how long will it take to get there from the airport? It will be on a Saturday and the bus leaves at 12:30.

I have called National several times but have only got an answering machine.

Mentioned in this post
Nanaimo
Nanaimo
Vancouver Island, Canada
Tofino
Tofino
Vancouver Island, Canada
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Glacier Sightseeing Experience by...
11 Reviews
from US$139.10*
Free Cancellation
Whistler to Vancouver Scenic Flight
from US$161.60*
Free Cancellation
Nanaimo Whale Watching in a...
from US$103.30*
Free Cancellation
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31,343 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Victoria from YCD

Stonhaus - slow down! What exactly are you asking here? You're all over the place. :)

You are flying into Nanaimo and renting a car. Check.

You are driving to Tofino. Check.

You are returning the rental car to Nanaimo airport after the trip to Tofino. Check.

Then I get utterly lost.

<<How do I get to Victoria? Other than an expensive taxi to Ferry terminal, what else?>>

Are you trying to get to Victoria or are you trying to get to the ferry terminal? Which ferry terminal? Departure Bay, Duke Point or Swartz Bay? Are you actually trying to get a ferry to Vancouver or are you trying to get to Victoria?

Have you looked at just keeping your car and driving to Victoria? You will incur a one way drop fee, but that might still work out better than paying for a Greyhound ticket.

Have you looked at dropping the car at a different depot other than the airport? Do they have a downtown depot?

Have you looked at just flying to Victoria from Nanaimo?

Mentioned in this post
Nanaimo
Nanaimo
Vancouver Island, Canada
Tofino
Tofino
Vancouver Island, Canada
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
65,787 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Victoria from YCD

We could use a few more specifics in order to provide some suggestions. So far it looks like:

Nanaimo airport > Tofino > Nanaimo airport > Victoria > Swartz Bay ferry terminal to Tsawwassen ferry terminal > Vancouver. Please clarify your itinerary.

Greyhound's customer service is useless.

Mentioned in this post
Nanaimo
Nanaimo
Vancouver Island, Canada
Tofino
Tofino
Vancouver Island, Canada
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
perth
Level Contributor
63 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Victoria from YCD

Thanks for your reply. I now have found they do have a downtown depot which will cost $50 one way fee but it solves my problem as the depot is fairly close to Departure Bay Ferry terminal where the buses leave for Victoria.

Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
perth
Level Contributor
63 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to Victoria from YCD

To clarify the itinerary:

fly to Nanaimo airport>.hire car drive to Tofino

drive Tofino to Nanaimo drop off car >catch a bus to Victoria

I do not particularly wish to drive Nanaimo to Victoria there is a $200 one way fee and the bus is more relaxing.

I was trying to determine whether any of the bus companies stopped at Nanaimo Airport, if not what was the best way to get to Departure Bay ferry Terminal and how long it would take so I could workout the time I needed to leave by from Tofino.

As I have now identified a downtown depot the problem is simpler.

Mentioned in this post
Nanaimo
Nanaimo
Vancouver Island, Canada
Tofino
Tofino
Vancouver Island, Canada
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
65,787 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to Victoria from YCD

The Greyhound drops off and picks up at Departure Bay ferry terminal, but it does have a schedule of its own and I don't know if it picks up for every ferry arrival.

A taxi from the Nanaimo airport to Departure Bay is 17-18 km, 20 minutes and the fare would be about $45.

From the airport to downtown Nanaimo is 14-15 km, about 17 minutes and $35.

Mentioned in this post
Nanaimo
Nanaimo
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31,343 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to Victoria from YCD

That sounds like a good solution to your problem and is worth $50 to fix.

Happy travels.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get to Victoria from YCD

Hi stonhaus,

Welcome to the Forum. Must admit I do not completely follow your comments getting to and from airport to ferry terminal. In particular:

"I now have found they do have a downtown depot which will cost $50 one way fee but it solves my problem as the depot is fairly close to Departure Bay Ferry terminal"

Are you saying National has a one way drop fee from renting at the airport to dropping off at their location on Northfield Road?

BD

perth
Level Contributor
63 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get to Victoria from YCD

For an airport pickup National have a drop off fee of $50 if returned downtown or $200 if returned to Victoria.

The best fit for the itinerary I want is on arrival at the airport to get a transfer to National downtown and rent and return there. This will require a taxi from the airport and on return a taxi from National downtown to the bus terminal. Greyhound schedule has a bus to Victoria at 12:30 which would work well, but I am a bit concerned about some of the comments relating to their reliability. They have not answered any of the emails I sent to them.

I also note there is an Nanaimo Airporter which may be better than taxi.

Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Nanaimo
Nanaimo
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
65,787 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get to Victoria from YCD

Well, the complaints have been about the call centre for Greyhound. The people who deal with emails. No complaints about the Island runs, quite a few complaints about the interior of BC runs. You can search the BC forum for Greyhound.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get to Victoria from YCD

Perth, is there a reason you are going to Victoria or are you just trying to get back to the airport in Vancouver. A little lost here but Victoria being on Vancouver Island does confuse folks.

Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver Island
Vancouver Island
British Columbia, Canada