We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July trip Questions

San Antonio
Level Contributor
604 posts
1 review
Save Topic
July trip Questions

We are staying the Buchan near Stanley Park. If we take train from airport, how far is the walk from our stop? we will each just have a carry on and have no problems walking. Celebrating my 60th!!

We are going to rent bikes for three days and explore all over this beautiful city. Any ideas on where to rent?

One day would like to explore Stanley Park by bike.

One day would like to take free shuttle to Capitalano and Grouse. I saw a stop near our hotel, meaning we could ride bikes to the stop. How do we get to Grouse Mtn from Capitalano?

Mentioned in this post
Buchan Hotel
Buchan Hotel
1,985 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Stanley Park
Stanley Park
24,381 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
14 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31,258 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July trip Questions

Google maps is your friend. All the transit information is integrated into Google maps as well. Here's your walk from the Vancouver City station (assuming you are coming in from the airport)

https://goo.gl/maps/fm78apEwBGy

Google puts it at 25 minutes (2 km) so its a fair way. You could transfer to a bus to shorten that walk. However, I wouldn't go the way Google has sent you. I would walk down Haro or Barclay for the most beautiful neighbourhood to wander through on the way. It is a slight downhill heading west, so that's in your favour.

You may find the bike share program suits your needs, but keep in mind its only for short trips of 30 minutes or less. Its not intended for all day rides and starts to get expensive if you do that. But if you park the bike and do a bit of sightseeing and then pick up another bike, then you can do a lot in a series of short hops that keep you inside your 30 minute window for the one fee. Bring your own helmets.

https://www.mobibikes.ca/

The depots are absolutely everywhere.

Here's the map from Capilano Suspension Bridge to the Capilano Fish Hatchery to Grouse Mountain. If you get the bus to Grouse, then you can walk downhill from there.

https://goo.gl/maps/8hLvsaUKfFN2

There's also a public bus.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Barclay Hotel
Barclay Hotel
564 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Capilano Suspension Bridge Park
Capilano Suspension...
8,236 Reviews
North Vancouver, Canada
Grouse Mountain
Grouse Mountain
4,469 Reviews
North Vancouver, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July trip Questions

Taking the Canada Line from the airport, get off at Yaletown Roundhouse station, when you come out of the station turn to your right and you will see the bus stop for the #6 Davie bus, this will take you to Haro and Denman and then it is one short block to the hotel. The bus runs every 6 to 8 minutes and will take you about 12 minutes to get to the Haro stop See the link below.

https://goo.gl/maps/oNJkcTmAsFE2

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Yaletown
Yaletown
597 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July trip Questions

Re Davie #6 Bus. The buses last stop on that route is Davie and Denman Streets. It may sit there for a bit, before changing to the #5 Downtown. Same bus, just a different name as it goes down Denman.

Just tell the driver that you are planning on going down Denman to Haro, so they understand why you are staying on the bus.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,499 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: July trip Questions

Whatever you do Do Note rent a Mobi crate.

Keywords-expensive, dirty, poorly maintained, and even sh*t upon.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,530 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July trip Questions

Some hotels are better reached by taxi for a net difference of under $25 for two. Lot's of bike rentals within a few minutes by foot from Buchan.

Mentioned in this post
Buchan Hotel
Buchan Hotel
1,985 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31,258 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: July trip Questions

Sam really has a hate on for Mobi. Only you know if you think its something you want to try, but I like the fact that there are convenient stations all over the city and close to train stations for convenient hop on, hop off use. If I found one with poop on it, I would not use that bike (there can be as many as 30 bikes at a station). Agree they are a bit heavy, not suitable for doing a real ride around the city, but for short, commuter hops, they could be a good choice. Up to you to research what you need. As noted, there are several other private rental options such as Spokes, Club 16 and others.

https://goo.gl/maps/pCwD6Fz7HBJ2

Good call to take the #6 Davie from Yaletown stop. You can always just do the shorter walk when the bus gets to the drivers break at the end of Davie. That's a much shorter and easier walk than all the way across town. Taxi from the airport keeps it simple.

Mentioned in this post
Yaletown
Yaletown
597 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
13,158 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: July trip Questions

I would be very careful of leaving a rental bike at a stop and taking the shuttle.. Bike theft in Vancouver is rampant.

For your ride to Grouse/Capilano better to walk to the pick up point. Also be aware that the shuttle is free only IF you have a purchased ticket for the attraction. I believe the Goruse shuttle and the Cap shuttle pickup at different points.

If ti were me I'd use public transit to get up to Grouse...more of a chance to ride with the locals. You can then transit down to Capilano Suspension Bridge.

Besides the paid attraction suspension bridge there is also Capilano RIver Regional Park which has some wonderful trails, crosses the canyon on fixed bridges, has the salmon hatchery and is free. After visiting Grouse you take the 236 bus down for under 10 minute ride and get off by Cleveland Dam and then easily spend a few hours in this park.

metrovancouver.org/services/parks/parks-gree…

Here's the park trail map. The bus stop will be on Nancy Green Way at Prospect Avenue.

metrovancouver.org/services/parks/ParksPubli…

I would do a circle

Take the 240 bus from Georgia St. then transfer to the 236 to Grouse

https://goo.gl/maps/1eTD8jxu5Uq

After your Grouse visit take the 236 back down to Cleveland Dam..or further down to Capilano Canyon Suspension Bridge

https://goo.gl/maps/P8go2MvZnmq

Once you've finished your visit catch the 236 yet again to Lonsdale Quay.

https://goo.gl/maps/Au4H4ALiU5p

and from Lonsdale Quay take the sea bus to Waterfront Station.

https://goo.gl/maps/VvYkGw66Cam

From here you can either walk the seawall towards Stanley Park and your hotel or wander up through Granville Street for the Art Gallery, Bill Reid gallery or other interests.

Sorry for all the separate maps..for some reason Google maps won't let me do a continuous map on public transit...not sure what's up with that.

You can do all of the above travel on transit for the cost of a $10 day pass....the best bargain in town.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Capilano Suspension Bridge Park
Capilano Suspension...
8,236 Reviews
North Vancouver, Canada
Cleveland Dam
Cleveland Dam
249 Reviews
North Vancouver, Canada
Lonsdale Quay Hotel
Lonsdale Quay Hotel
643 Reviews
North Vancouver, Canada
Waterfront Station
Waterfront Station
98 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Stanley Park
Stanley Park
24,381 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Bill Reid Gallery
Bill Reid Gallery
315 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: July trip Questions

Ya, don't understand the hate for MOBI bikes. I see them being used a lot, the ones I've seen are clean and I see them everyday since there is a station out my front door.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: July trip Questions

Re Post 3: Buses no longer stop at Davie and Denman as a terminus, they continue straight on as a # 5 to Downtown. The headway on those buses is 6 to 7 minutes, no need to tell the driver anything. He will stop, let off passengers and then continue to your stop which will be the third stop after turning onto Denman Street. Buses also have GPS and a recorded bus stop announcement will be made just prior to your stop

Edited: 08 June 2018, 10:18
Mentioned in this post
Denman Street
Denman Street
83 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
65,693 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: July trip Questions

If you use Mobi, the basic deal is you have to dock the bike in no more than 30 min intervals or you will pay a surcharge. You can buy a day pass, but you still have to dock the bike somewhere every 30 minutes.

FAQs: https://www.mobibikes.ca/en/faq

You can get the Cap Bridge shuttle at the Westin Bayshore, a short walk from your hotel. Once you are finished there, you can take the #236 bus up to Grouse Mountain. Use your credit card to tap on the sensor next to the driver. $2.85 will be charged to it. Or you can use $2.85 in exact change in coins. From Grouse you can then take the Grouse shuttle back to Canada Place. Canada Place and the Mountain are the only stops for the Grouse shuttle. The trip from Vancouver takes about 30-40 minutes. 10 min from the Bridge to Grouse Mtn.

No point renting a Mobi to the Cap Bridge shuttle at the Bayshore Hotel, there are no docks near the Bayshore nor the Blue Horizon up Robson St. They come with helmets though.

I think you could do Cap in about 2 hours and about 3-4 hours for Grouse, if you count the gondola ride up and down.

What else have you identified to visit while you are here?

Mentioned in this post
The Westin Bayshore, Vancouver
The Westin Bayshore...
3,477 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Grouse Mountain
Grouse Mountain
4,469 Reviews
North Vancouver, Canada
Canada Place
Canada Place
2,193 Reviews