We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timing & Logistics Vancouver / Victoria

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Timing & Logistics Vancouver / Victoria

Dear Vancouver/Victoria experts, we would appreciate any input and timing suggestions...

1. Should we rent a car? If not, please offer alternatives.

2. If yes, please offer input on timing questions below?

Arrive via cruise ship to Vancouver eta 7:30am. We have a transfer to the airport. - What time should we expect to arrive at the airport?

We will depart from our group, pick up our rental and head to Vancouver Island. - Should we make a ferry reservation? If so, what time? We want to not feel rushed, but we don't want to waste a lot of time either.

We will spend two nights in Victoria. And return to the airport for our last night (staying at an airport hotel for a morning flight). Should we make a return ferry reservation? If so, what time?

Our plan is to enjoy Victoria - a walking tour, a food tour, and relaxing before heading home. Feel free to offer any suggestions here as well. Our philosophy is you can't do it all so enjoy and leave wanting to return.

Kindest regards, PT

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver Island
Vancouver Island
British Columbia, Canada
15 replies to this topic
calgary
Level Contributor
5,655 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Timing & Logistics Vancouver / Victoria

Instead of going to airport why not just catch the BC Connector at the cruise ship dock that takes you to Victoria. If you're only going to be in Victoria you don't need a car while there

https:/…

Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,524 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Timing & Logistics Vancouver / Victoria

Car rental from the airport is more costly than from downtown. My bet is you won't get off the ship before say 10:30. How about storing some luggage, wave goodbye to your group and take a sea plane or V2V from near the cruise terminal to downtown Victoria?

https://www.v2vvacations.com/ https://www.harbourair.com/ http://www.portergenie.com/

Edited: 10 June 2018, 00:13
Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Timing & Logistics Vancouver / Victoria

This is a great idea. Any suggestions on the return from the ferry terminal to the airport?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Timing & Logistics Vancouver / Victoria

I love this idea. Sea Plane and storing luggage! We did this when in Boston for a long layover. Suggestions for multiple days luggage storage solutions. I haven't searched the forum boards yet.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,524 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Timing & Logistics Vancouver / Victoria

There is also a sea plane from Victoria Harbour to the airport. Same company.

Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
calgary
Level Contributor
5,655 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Timing & Logistics Vancouver / Victoria

Well you could fly back to Vancouver or take the BC Connector from downtown Victoria to the Vancouver airport.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Timing & Logistics Vancouver / Victoria

As much I love the idea of the sea plane, I don't think it is the best for your case. I think that when you get off your cruise ship in Vancouver at Canada Place, you should rent car right there and travel by car to Tsawwassen ferry terminal. Summer time - reservation is highly recommended!!! Car gives you freedom of see the most and go to Butchart gardens, do scenic drive, see Craigdarroch castle, Government house and so on. Even may be drive to Chemainus... Make sure that you drop off your car at the airport o the way back. This way you will see a lot and really enjoy beautiful Victoria.

Good luck!

Olga, your local tour guide

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Canada Place
Canada Place
2,193 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Craigdarroch Castle
Craigdarroch Castle
2,852 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Government House
Government House
635 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
18,900 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Timing & Logistics Vancouver / Victoria

Victoria is a great small city that is good to wander about with lots of viewpoints and stops to make, when you have a car. But if you are not the wandering type that likes to drive around neighbourhood aimlessly for a look and see how the others are living then taking a car will not be of great benefit over using the public transport options outlined in the other posts.

Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31,303 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Timing & Logistics Vancouver / Victoria

Well you certainly have a few different options and only you know your priorities. I offer a few considerations to put in the mix while you sort out what is best for you:

1. I wholeheartedly agree that you should not bother with the transfer to the airport, no matter what you do. Everything is right around the cruise ship terminal, so I would just walk off and do whatever you want to do.

2. The ferry trip between Tsawassen and the island is quite beautiful and scenic and its worth taking the longer trip in one direction just to have the experience, although taking a different mode of transport in the other direction makes sense.

3. Victoria has an international airport.

4. Victoria itself is very walkable and convenient, with good public transit. You will only want a car if you decide you want to get beyond Victoria. How centrally located are your Victoria accommodations?

5. There are several ways to get between downtown Vancouver and downtown Victoria: public transit, BC Connector private coach transfer, sea plane, V2V private ferry service, and there's even a whale watching option. Private car isn't always the best way to go.

Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Timing & Logistics Vancouver / Victoria

The need for reservations on the ferry depend on the time you are travelling. If it's Fri-Mon it's a good idea, other days you may be fine unless it's a long weekend.

Reply to: Timing & Logistics Vancouver / Victoria
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted