We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Day Pass Question

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Another Day Pass Question

Sorry if this question keeps getting asked. I've looked over threads but am still a little confused. We will be staying in East Vancouver for 4 days and won't have a car til Day 4.

Our movements will be

Day 1 - (possible) Airport to downtown (probably then cab to East Vancouver accommodation due to luggage) Might do cab instead for whole trip- unsure at this stage. Possible bus in East Vancouver to kill some time waiting for another friend to arrive. Then downtown for afternoon/evening then back to accommodation in East Vancouver

Day 2 - Downtown for the day + free shuttle to Capilano Suspension Bridge + downtown for dinner then back to accommodation.

Day 3 - need to get downtown for Sea Plane to Victoria, bus in Victoria to the gardens then bus and ferry back to Vancouver. Public transport back to East Vancouver.

Day 4 - downtown in morning to pick up hire car for trip to Whistler - will then have the car til the next day when we drop it off near Canada Place and start our cruise.

Just wondering about best use of day pass or compass card. Which do you recommend for us (2 adults)?

With day 1 I'm assuming you can get a day pass at airport + the extra surcharge. When I went onto trip planner it had the fare of $9.10, which I'm assuming is just a one-off fare. I couldn't work out if I can select day pass from the airport. If I can, I'm leaning towards public transport + cab from station, seeing we are going into back downtown later on in the day.

Day 2 - we aren't near any vending machines etc where we are staying. Can we pick up an extra day pass the previous day at the airport that we can use Day 2? Or can we just pick one up downtown somewhere on Day 1? We'll also need to get a day pass for Day 3 - maybe?? see below!

Day 3 - day pass?? I'm guessing the pass is for Vancouver only, not Victoria? Not sure if it is better just to pay fares rather than a day pass for this day.

Day 4 - just pay the fare to downtown??

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Capilano Suspension Bridge Park
Capilano Suspension...
8,085 Reviews
North Vancouver, Canada
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
Canada Place
Canada Place
2,139 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
L'Hermitage Hotel
L'Hermitage Hotel
#1 of 92 hotels in Vancouver
Wedgewood Hotel & Spa
Wedgewood Hotel & Spa
#2 of 92 hotels in Vancouver
Loden Hotel
Loden Hotel
#3 of 92 hotels in Vancouver
11 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
65,015 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Day Pass Question

An adult day pass costs $10.25. You need to make 4 Vancouver trips at $2.95 to pay for a Day Pass. A single $2.95 ticket is good for 90 minutes.

So Day 1, yes if you do all that on transit.

Day 2, probably single fares would be better

Day 3. probably single fares would be better.

Day 4. single fare is needed

In your scenario, I would not recommend a Day Pass. With such few rides, you could simply tap your credit card on the sensor for $2.95 each time you rode a bus of a train.

A Day Pass at the airport will cost $9.20 with the surcharge. You can buy them from the ticket vending machine on the platform.

Victoria transit is on a different system. The Ferries have their own pricing. A single fare in Victoria is $2.50. A day pass is $5.00, so getting a day pass will allow you to take the bus all day in Victoria.

All fare prices I've mentioned are effective July 1, 2018.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Day Pass Question

Day pass from the airport will be $15.25 each. Taxi is about $10 more before tip.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 01:49
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
65,015 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Day Pass Question

Good catch Techboy. I mistakenly used a single adult weekday 2 zone fare + the surcharge.

So to be clear. $10.25 for the Day Pass and $5 for the surcharge.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Day Pass Question

The cabs are capped at $35 is that correct? Plus tip. Does that only apply downtown or will it still be good for East Van. A web Taxi fare calculator said from the station to East Van is around $18 (average, I know). Will be around midday on a Wednesday.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
898 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Day Pass Question

Re. Post 4.

From YVR to East Vancouver will be max. $39 + tip, depending on the address. There are 3 different East Vancouver zones. North of Grandview (approx. 12th Avenue) is $39. South of Grandview to 41st Ave is $35. South of 41st Ave is $29.

Downloadable taxi zone map is here www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/transportation/taxis

You can confirm the price to your actual destination at the taxi rank.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver Intl Airport
Vancouver Intl Airport
Richmond, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
898 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Day Pass Question

Using your touchless credit card for single fares might be the most convenient way to use public transport. Others may be able to weigh in on how transfers work.

For most cities I visit, I purchase the smartcard for its convenience. It's a functional souvenir :) and smaller than a tea towel. When traveling, I take along whatever smartcards I think I will need.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another Day Pass Question

Thanks for that taxi map is it awesome! Looks like $39 to my address. Does the touchless credit card then spit out a paper ticket or something that is good for 90 minutes? I'm guessing you mean a credit card with the chip.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
65,015 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another Day Pass Question

Agree with Karen about the credit card. I mentioned using it as the most convenient (for your trip) in post 1.

Here is an article that explains using it. Expanding all the sections will have info on using your contactless CC. This just means it does not swipe, it only taps on the sensor. Yes, must be a credit card with a chip.

https:/…Paying-Your-Fare.aspx

For proof of payment, it acts just like a Compass Card. The tap records your fare payment on your card. If the train security staffer comes along and asks you for proof of payment, you will have nothing tangible, but they will scan your credit card on their hand held device thingy to be able to see that you have paid and when you paid. No security staffer, no worries.

Don't tap off buses, do tap off trains and the Seabus.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another Day Pass Question

If you give the block number of your Air Bnb then we can give specific instructions on how to get there by public transport.

Eg. 2500 block of Broadway.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another Day Pass Question

2700 but I think we have transfer to a bus and then will be a pain with luggage.

Reply to: Another Day Pass Question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted