We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothes needed for winter in Vancouver

Karachi, Pakistan
1 post
Save Topic
Clothes needed for winter in Vancouver

Hi,

I am starting university at UBC in Fall and wanted to ask what clothes I will need for Vancouver's winter season. How many jackets, hoodies, sweaters, etc will I need. Also will I need to bring winter accessories such as gloves and beanies and snow boots. I know that Vancouver has milder temperatures compared to other parts of Canada, but I am moving from Asia where we have average winter temperatures of a high of 26 and low of 13, so Vancouver's gonna be pretty cold for me.

Thanks in Advance!!

Edited: 13 June 2018, 16:29
Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
10 replies to this topic
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothes needed for winter in Vancouver

actually, you need all these hand gloves, hoodies, jacket etc

Edited: 13 June 2018, 17:30
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,599 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothes needed for winter in Vancouver

Outerwear/Footwear that keeps you dry would help as well. Vancouver Winter=Rain/Snow. Possibly a umbrella.

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31,499 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothes needed for winter in Vancouver

Probably going to be less expensive to buy what you need here. Start with a couple of hoodies and a raincoat and waterproof shoes or boots. September is usually quite warm and dry by our standards, so you'll have time to befriend some locals who can make some suggestions and tell you the best places to buy them.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,496 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothes needed for winter in Vancouver

I had a roomate that bought a good winter jacket - it was not the most stylish but he was the only one that was not shivering all the time.

it is not the temperature; it is the humidity index that you want to pay attention to; that is what i call 'It will make your bones ache".

Vancouver
Level Contributor
156 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothes needed for winter in Vancouver

In Vancouver's winter you'll need to dress in layers to stay warm and dry. A waterproof gore-tex shell will be your best friend, with a scarf and sweater or fleece layered underneath it. Definitely an umbrella to walk to class! Occasionally a toque or gloves, but it rarely gets to zero degrees. It would be very rare for you to need winter (snow) boots, but waterproof boots or shoes are essential.

As others have said, you'll still be plenty warm and dry in September and most of October, giving you lots of time to go shopping for warmer things here. A great store for outdoor clothing is MEC, which is an easy bus ride from UBC.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
681 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clothes needed for winter in Vancouver

Another great store for outdoor clothing is the Army & Navy Department stores - While they won't have the same selection as MEC their prices are much lower.

https://www.armyandnavy.ca

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
66,824 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clothes needed for winter in Vancouver

Congrats, sam. I think you will enjoy being on campus.

You will indeed feel the cold here. It’s not so much “how many?” but just “how?” You will want a base layer of a long sleeved shirt, or a long sleeved, turtle neck poly/cotton t-shirt. Then a mid layer of a sweater, a fleece, or a hoodie, preferably with zipper fronts. For a jacket, make it waterproof and breatheable with a hood and zipper. You may want a lined jacket rather than a shell. I recommend long to the bottom of your jeans pockets.

Jeans work fine here. Wait until you are here before buying thermal underwear or leggings. Are you female? Leggings work well with skirts.

Have a scarf, tuque or other head covering and lined gloves handy. Again, if you are female, a pashmina is a very versatile piece of equipment. It can act as a scarf - can wrap around the neck and fold down in front, it can act as a cover up for your arms on the plane and in restos and rooms with air conditioning.

https://goo.gl/images/R6KKxm

Here’s a tuque. You can see how you would need that scarf too: https://goo.gl/images/SrsxDm

These are Thinsulate brand gloves, lined and more windproof than all knitted gloves:

https://goo.gl/images/z5yWML

You could probably get away with sneakers like Adidas or Nikes all winter, although last winter we had about 30 cm of snow through January and it stayed around because the temps stayed low. So, you won’t need to think about walking boots or winter boots until early December.

We do not have the same weight of fabric as you have. Our market for winter clothing calls for a heavier weight of fabric than the lightweight, gauze-like, cotton handkerchief fabric that can be found in Pakistan and other hot climate countries. There is even some difference between the Vancouver market and the Seattle market. So already, our winter clothes are more substantial for fabric.

Jacket? Something like this: https://tinyurl.com/ydftsed3

Edited: 14 June 2018, 04:35
Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clothes needed for winter in Vancouver

UBC have a dedicated international student division who have excellent resources about what to bring, how to dress for the weather, where to stay, shopping etc. My son was going to study there but ended up going to UVic on Vancouver Island which has exactly the same resource division. They are both super helpful and can answer lots of questions etc. Regarding clothes, layers are the key. Good luck, British Columbia is a great place.

Edited: 14 June 2018, 14:16
Mentioned in this post
Vancouver Island
Vancouver Island
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Clothes needed for winter in Vancouver

Congratulations on your acceptance to UBC! As suggested by the others, prepare to dress in layers. If you keep dry, you will feel warmer. You will probably want:

- hoodies and sweaters/sweatshirts (shop the UBC bookstore)

- a solid umbrella

- waterproof or at least water resistant shoes (such as hiking boots). These can double as winter boots with warm socks when we have the occasional cold snap & snow. This boot from Sports Chek gives you an idea of the style: https:/…

- light rain coat with hood

- warmer rain coat or a water resistant winter coat

- hat and gloves

- warm socks

Most students wear jeans, t-shirts, hoodies (or light coats) and sneakers, adding a rain coat or umbrella, as needed.

Wait until you arrive in Vancouver to purchase the coats and boots. MEC is a very good resource for rain gear, but it can be expensive. Winners is worth a look. The Hudson's Bay often has sales in late fall for winter coats. Sports Chek also has a lot of good options and plenty of sales so watch for their discounts.

Best of luck at school!

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Clothes needed for winter in Vancouver

Umbrellas and gumboots. It does snow occasionally, but it's never really cold. But, oh boy, it rains. It can also be cold and humid so gore-tex is useful, and go for layers rather than thick clothing. Enjoy our wonderful city!

Reply to: Clothes needed for winter in Vancouver
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted