We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trips

4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trips

Hello all!

My family and I, my kids are 9 and 11 and avid hikers, will be arriving in Victoria in the 18th and leaving the 20th to Comox.

We love the outdoors, hiking, wine (mostly me), and exploring. I wanted to see Della Falls, but realize it is not a day hiking trip.

I’ve heard some great stuff about the Jarassic Park on the Pacific Rim, but is that too far to go after we leave Victoria on our way to Comox?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Comox
Comox
Vancouver Island, Canada
Della Falls
Della Falls
11 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
10 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
65,234 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trips

Jurassic Park? I think you mean Cathedral Grove near Parksville, not on the west coast at Pacific Rim. Yes, you can easily walk in the giant trees there on the way to Comox.

Mentioned in this post
Cathedral Grove
Cathedral Grove
767 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Parksville
Parksville
Vancouver Island, Canada
Comox
Comox
Vancouver Island, Canada
England, United...
Level Contributor
318 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trips

On your way to Comox take a slight detour to Coombs country market. The kids will love the goats on the roof.

Mentioned in this post
Comox
Comox
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver Island, BC
Level Contributor
243 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trips

I believe the OP is referring to AVATAR GROVE which is located in Port Renfrew. Here are directions to grove..... https:/…directions-avatar-grove.php

You could do this by taking the Pacific Marine Circle route, but it would add a considerable amount of time to your day drive to Comox. http://www.pacificmarinecircleroute.com/

Mentioned in this post
82 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Port Renfrew
Port Renfrew
Vancouver Island, Canada
Comox
Comox
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
65,234 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trips

Wow! Who knew? It looks like this is a place called Jurassic Grove between Port Renfrew and Jordan River, taking up 130 hectares. The Times Colonist wrote about it a year ago as being revealed to the public by the group Ancient Forest Alliance. Article here:

timescolonist.com/news/local/avatar-grove-th…

Mentioned in this post
Port Renfrew
Port Renfrew
Vancouver Island, Canada
Comox Valley, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trips

Hi Georgia, It's Glenn here from the Vancouver Island Visitor Centre on the east coast of the Island.

I believe that the area you are referring to as "Jurassic Park" is off the Jordan Ridge Off-Road Vehicle trails which follow old logging roads. I have not heard it referred to as "JP" before but there is some old growth on the steep slope above Loss Creek on the south side. The off road trails start from near Sombrio Point off Highway 14 but it is not well marked...someplace the locals know. This is not within a park or organized recreational area so may not be a good idea to go unless you are a confident wilderness navigator.

We have some big trees up in the Comox Valley so drop in and see us.

Happy Travels

Edited: 10 June 2018, 06:23
Mentioned in this post
Vancouver Island
Vancouver Island
British Columbia, Canada
Comox Valley
Comox Valley
Vancouver Island, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Trips

Yes, I believe that is it. This is the article I read. Is it worth the extra time or are there similar views on the shorter way to comox?

Thanks you for your help! :)

www.ancientforestalliance.org/news-item.php…

Comox Valley, Canada
Level Contributor
1,231 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trips

"similar views"....do you mean as you drive past it? No old growth forest area of any size can be seen from the highway on the island. Except in Cathedral Grove, between Qualicum and Port Alberni.

Mentioned in this post
Cathedral Grove
Cathedral Grove
767 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Qualicum Beach
Qualicum Beach
Vancouver Island, Canada
Port Alberni
Port Alberni
Vancouver Island, Canada
Comox Valley, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trips

Hi again Georgia,

I did some checking on Jurassic Park. According to the Ancient Forest Alliance, they are in negotiations with the landowners about public access to this area with no time frame as to when it may be finalized. Currently there is no access and no trails...it's a steep and challenging site to get to.

As for seeing some big trees in the Comox Valley area, here are three ideas for you:

Mack Laing Nature Park/Brooklyn Creek park in Comox

Walk up a salmon bearing stream running through a gorge. Large Sitka Spruce and Douglas Fir.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Mack+Laing+Nature+Park/@49.6709556,-124.9115333,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x6900cd74df70b832!8m2!3d49.6709556!4d-124.9115333

Seal Bay Park in Comox

Take the Don Apps trail to the beach and see a fern-filled gully with massive big leaf maples. The park is a second growth forest but has large trees throughout.

https:/…seal-bay-nature-park

Elk Falls Provincial Park, just outside Campbell River

West of the main falls, check out the Old Growth and Riverside loop trails to see large Douglas Fir and Western Red cedar.

…gov.bc.ca/bcparks/…

Happy exploring!

Edited: 15 June 2018, 02:07
Mentioned in this post
Comox Valley
Comox Valley
Vancouver Island, Canada
Comox
Comox
Vancouver Island, Canada
the DOUGLAS, Autograph Collection
the DOUGLAS, Autograph...
52 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Elk Falls Provincial Park
Elk Falls Provincial Park
615 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Campbell River
Campbell River
Vancouver Island, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Trips

Hi! Hiking to the trees is a great option for us as well. I am sure most are hidden away from main roads.

Thanks for your help. :)

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Trips

Thank you for much for the tips. I have them all down and I am excited to check them out!

Reply to: Trips
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted