We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip Report - Vancouver Island

Toronto
Level Contributor
4,230 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
trip Report - Vancouver Island

Since you guys helped me a lot to plan the trip to Victoria and Tofinio, it is only right that I describe our experiences in VI. So here goes. Hopefully this will help others.

Day 1: We landed in Victoria around 11 am, went to Enterprise to pick up the car and headed down to the city center. Our Airbnb was available to us only at 4 PM, so we had a few hours to spend. So we walked around in the city, had some really good Vietnamese food at a restaurant near the Chinatown and headed to the Beacon Hill Park and Spiral Beach. After that drove to the Airbnb which was across the bay in Victoria West. Unpacked, spend a short time relaxing and headed back to the Old City for dinner at Café Maxico. Food average, but nice ambience. After dinner drove to Clover Point Park to watch the sunset. Victoria West has a real 70’s feel to it. Small mom & pop cafes and bakeries, and very eclectic collection of houses and gardens.

Day 2: Went for an early morning walk on the water front (Songhees Walkway) for a nice sunrise and photography. Then had breakfast at a small café at the Market Square (don’t remember the name), food fabulous. The plan for the day was to explore Sooke and Juan de Fuca Trail. Spent time in Sooke in the morning and got to the China Beach trailhead in the afternoon. Hiked to Mystic beach, chilled out in the beach for couple of hours and hiked back. What a beautiful place. Lots of photography. On the way back, stopped at the delightful local café/bakery, Shirley Delicious. Divine homemade bread and soup.

Day 3: Morning was spent at the Royal BC Museum, going through very impressive First Nations Galleries and a special exhibition on Egypt. Afternoon, whale watching with Price of Whales tours. We had an amazing time, following a single pod of Orcas which had a less than 3 month old baby for almost 2 hours. Very knowledgeable boat operators with real knowledge about marine life around that area. Lots of really spectacular photos. We went to a sports bar in old town for dinner. Big mistake. NBA finals was in progress and place was noisy!! We are not sports bar types.

Day 4: Drive to Ucluelet. Stopped at Malahat lookout, Chemainus, Nanaimo, and Coombs Market. Highlights: Malahat, J.D. Stevenson Gallery in Chemainus, Mclean’s Specialty Foods in Nanaimo which we stumbled onto while searching for a Nanaimo bar from Nanaimo. Little did we know that they had an award winning Nanaimo bar. So photographs with the owner. The drive from Port Alberni to Ucluelet was real fun, through the winding mountain roads. We arrived in Ucluelet around 4.30 PM, text the owner to say that we have arrived. She texts back, “go right in, the door is unlocked with the keys inside, make yourselves comfortable, I will drop by later to meet you guys”. She arrives later, tell us about the area, places to go, places to eat, and other general descriptions about the place. Later that evening we have Japanese food (average) and go to the Lighthouse Point to wander around and watch the nightfall.

Day 5: Early morning walk to the Lighthouse to walk on the trail and watch a spectacular sunrise over the Broken Islands, more spectacular photography. Breakfast at Zoe’s Bakery (more about that later). Then off on a bear watching boat trip with Jamie’s Whaling. Saw altogether 6 black bears on different beaches enjoying sea food. Other wildlife that we saw: Harbor Seals, Sea Lions and many Bald Eagles. Lots of opportunities for photography. In the afternoon, drove to Tofino, stopping along a several beaches on the Pacific Rim National Park. One of the highlights in Tofino was Roy Vickers gallery. Lunch at the Schooner, which was very good.

Day 6 : Breakfast again at Zoe’s bakery again. Some light walking/hiking on the trails around Ucluelet. Then visited the small aquarium at Ucluelet harbor. It is a gem of a place, the first catch-and-release aquarium in the country. Then drove to Tofino to explore more the beaches and trails. Lunch at Big Daddy’s Fish Fry. Back to Ucluelet in time for dinner at Hank’s BBQ and end the day watching a spectacular sunset at Big Beach.

Day 7: Breakfast at Zoe’s. Drive to Nanaimo with stops at Cathedral Grove and Little Qualicum Falls. Dropped the car off at Enterprise in Nanaimo and took the ferry to Vancouver. So that was our VI vacation. We had 3 more days in Vancouver and Whistler.

Now about Zoe’s Bakery in Ucluelet. This was our find of the trip. We went there all three days for breakfast. They had an amazing range of homemade bake goods and breakfast stuff. Each day different. The staff was friendly and food out of this world. Our suggestion that they should consider moving the operation to Toronto was not taken seriously.

So all in all, an amazing trip. VI is an amazing place, breathtaking scenery, pristine wilderness. Our only hope is that it stays that way. Thank you all the experts on this forum for all the help in planning. You made our trip really special.

Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Beacon Hill Park
Beacon Hill Park
3,397 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Clover Point Park
Clover Point Park
119 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Sooke
Sooke
Vancouver Island, Canada
Shirley Delicious
Shirley Delicious
545 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Royal BC Museum
Royal BC Museum
6,091 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Orcas Island
Orcas Island
San Juan Islands, WA
Ucluelet
Ucluelet
Vancouver Island, Canada
Chemainus
Chemainus
Vancouver Island, Canada
Nanaimo
Nanaimo
Vancouver Island, Canada
Port Alberni
Port Alberni
Vancouver Island, Canada
Tofino
Tofino
Vancouver Island, Canada
Pacific Rim National Park
Pacific Rim National Park
1,136 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
The Schooner Restaurant
The Schooner Restaurant
1,411 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Cathedral Grove
Cathedral Grove
763 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Qualicum Beach
Qualicum Beach
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
12 replies to this topic
calgary
Level Contributor
5,450 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip Report - Vancouver Island

Thanks for providing this great report. Its always nice when people come back to let us know how their trip went.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,392 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: trip Report - Vancouver Island

Lovely report!

Makes me with I was there now.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
30,630 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip Report - Vancouver Island

Noted Shirley's in prep for our trip to Sooke in the fall! Enjoyed the report. Its always good to get updates from recent visitors. I advise as much based on what I have read here as from personal experience, which can get dated, so having recent experience from someone who is not already familiar with the area is always helpful. Thanks for taking the time!

Mentioned in this post
Sooke
Sooke
Vancouver Island, Canada
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip Report - Vancouver Island

Thanks for the report - glad we could help.

Do you post your photos on any of the sharing sites like Flickr etc...??

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip Report - Vancouver Island

Great report ! Thanks for doing it.

Toronto
Level Contributor
4,230 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip Report - Vancouver Island

I am still sorting through my photos. Once they are ready I will post them on Google plus and post the link here on the forum.

Coombs
Level Contributor
659 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip Report - Vancouver Island

I am so glad you had a great time. You accomplished a lot and it sounds like you saw some of the best the island has to offer.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,945 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip Report - Vancouver Island

I really enjoyed your TR, lavinium, and I've popped it into the Trip Report Collection. Thanks for helping future travellers who look in the TR Collection.

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
395 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trip Report - Vancouver Island

Excellent lavinium

Good report to post Mufti

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,531 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trip Report - Vancouver Island

You actually made it to a lot of my favourite places! I am glad you went into Shirley's too. It looks small when you first walk in there, but there is actually more room around the corner. Super busy place, for being so "out of the way".

And glad you made it to Eagle Aerie Gallery to see Roy's work! Did you buy anything? We have quite few of his pieces around our house.

I will be patient, and wait for your pictures to be linked. Looking forward to seeing them.

Mentioned in this post
Eagle Aerie Gallery
Eagle Aerie Gallery
193 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reply to: trip Report - Vancouver Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;