We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route from Whistler to Kelowna

1 post
Save Topic
Route from Whistler to Kelowna

We are from Denmark and are travelling from Whistler to Kelowna on 11th July this Summer. Which route to take if we want the best scenic choice - and perhaps places we have to see on our way: via Lillooet, Kamloops, Vernon or via Lillooet, Spencer Bridge, Merritt??

Mentioned in this post
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
Kelowna
Kelowna
Okanagan Valley, Canada
Kamloops
Kamloops
British Columbia, Canada
Vernon
Vernon
Okanagan Valley, Canada
8 replies to this topic
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
18,928 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route from Whistler to Kelowna

Either one will offer scenic.

I like the Stein Valley #12 as the road is mid way up the valley mountain side and not on the valley bottom so you get good vistas to Lytton; Spence's Bridge to Merritt is rangeland (arid climate) so sage brush desert scenery.

Merritt to Kelowna is 4 lane high speed highway.

Mentioned in this post
Kelowna
Kelowna
Okanagan Valley, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31,337 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route from Whistler to Kelowna

This is my choice:

https://goo.gl/maps/RAvun1PM2Q52

I would definitely go north from Whistler (I assume you started in Vancouver?) through to Lillooet. Then you need to choose between 97C through Ashcroft and Logan Lake or Highway 8 from Spences Bridge to Merritt. I've driven both of these, and they are both nice, but I really like the climb up out of Ashcroft and, as much as its certainly not natural, the drive through the Highland Valley Copper Mine is something else.

Mentioned in this post
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route from Whistler to Kelowna

I agree with V67 re her suggestions...the Pavilion Lake road is spectacular as you climb up out of the Fraser Canyon and across the plateau. You then see some of the old Cariboo as you come down from Clinton towards Cache Creek. Having spent my teenage years in Kamloops, I have a certain fondness for the old highway 1 and find the sagebrush kind of interesting.

Realistically, you cannot go wrong on any of the suggested routes! Last time I drove the 97 Connector from Merritt to Kelowna, I saw a herd of deer and a black bear (this was very early in the morning mind you).

Mentioned in this post
Kamloops
Kamloops
British Columbia, Canada
Kelowna
Kelowna
Okanagan Valley, Canada
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
18,928 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route from Whistler to Kelowna

JandV

is this the road you are referring to? https://goo.gl/maps/2mSQgAwcw732 is that road paved? as google streetview does not have that seciton. The one usually mentioned that google maps defaults to is Highway 99 Duffey Lake Road.

FYI if it is a gravel road the rental car agreements would not allow travel on that road.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route from Whistler to Kelowna

Fair question cbaarch...I am trying to remember from a few years ago. If it is, then the other route via 99 is still an option.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
18,928 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route from Whistler to Kelowna

hi

Gave it a second look using google streetview. It goes on the road from Pavilion to a cattle guard https://goo.gl/maps/Jv5X49SguC72 which shows a gravel road and some sort of sign about Private Road which is often what I have found on First Nation Reserve land.

When I first looked it had no streetview at the other end near Clinton.

Comox Valley, Canada
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Route from Whistler to Kelowna

It's a logging road, gravel, from Kelly Lake to Pavilion. We did that route two summers ago. The view coming down into Pavilion was worth it though, otherwise a little dull.

+1 though for the Stein Valley suggestion.

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Route from Whistler to Kelowna

Hello Kristine F, Sierra from Tourism Vernon here!

We have many scenic sights in our city and it would definitely be worth stopping by! Kalamalka Lake Provincial Park (…gov.bc.ca/bcparks/…), Allan Brooks Nature Centre (https://abnc.ca/), and the Grey Canal Trail are all fantastic locations that we think you'd enjoy! Please feel free to contact us should you have any further questions!

Happy travels!

Mentioned in this post
Vernon
Vernon
Okanagan Valley, Canada
Reply to: Route from Whistler to Kelowna
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted